All my apps still crash w/ 2.1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Erukian, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Erukian macrumors newbie

Does anyone else have this issue? i was hoping 2.1 would solve it. All my app-store apps crash, even freshly installed ones. I really don't want to wipe out my phone and lose all my data i've been accruing since january.

-Joe

2. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

No crashes so far, no.

The only app problem I've encountered is with Zen Pinball, it now has no graphics whatsoever, just a white screen.

This happened on both my iPhone and my iPod Touch after installing 2.1.

3. redman042 macrumors 68020

My mother in law recently got an iPhone and her's was doing the same thing. I told her to wait until 2.1 comes out, install that, then try again. Haven't gotten around to talking to her yet. Let me know if you figure out what is wrong.

Have you synced your phone with iTunes yet? You'll get a backup of your data when you do that.

4. gdzb macrumors newbie

still broken!

i am afraid mine still crash too.. something is amiss

5. Aznsensation45 macrumors regular

do you guys have itunes 8? because when i had 7.71 or w/e that previous version of itunes was, all my music would disappear and my applications would crash. After I updated my itunes to itunes 8, it seemed to go away.

6. Amt macrumors regular

I'm on my 6th iPhone 3G from this problem... and my newest one still has it. :x
    The Genius Bar guy said it might be my computer. So maybe try making a new user-account and syncing from that account.

7. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

Genius told me that if the backup is ever interrupted (which can happen if someone text or calls during) it can damage the files. Try setting up as new iphone and re syncing. It sucks to have to do that but it has worked for me. My iphone wont even use my backup from my original cause it says that the files are corrupt. Apps havent crashed since 2.1 yet.

8. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

This is why I restored...

Because the backup process for 2.0.x takes so long, bad things can happen in between...

9. njchris macrumors regular

njchris

10. DreamPod macrumors 65816

What do you mean by "crash"? Do you mean the app just hangs, becomes unresponsive? Or does it go to the Home Screen? If it's the Home Screen, you are probably running out of memory; try opening Safari and make sure you don't have like 4 webpages open. And definitely try turning off the power.

Maybe it's a specific app that has a bug? Which apps are crashing?

11. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

When I saw this same issue on my buddy's Touch, I had to remove all of the apps, delete them from iTunes and download them again. Apps ran fine ever since. Not sure what the deal was.

12. MJFlash macrumors member

Hi, Folks,

If you're having this problem, do a "DFU restore".

NOTE: This is a start from scratch procedure, which will wipe out all the contents of your phone. However, it works! Before starting out, make sure that you have backed up your phone to your iTunes library, including transferring all purchases to your library.

• Plug your phone into your PC/Mac's iPod/iTunes USB cable.
    • Turn off your phone by holding down the Power button for 4 seconds, then swiping to turn off.
    • After the phone has turned off, simultaneously press the Power and Home buttons, and continue to hold them for ten seconds.
    • At the end of ten seconds, release the Power button only, while continuing to hold down the Home button.
    • About 10 seconds after you've released the Power button while continuing to hold down the Home button, iTunes should say that it's seeing a phone in Restore mode.
    • After iTunes has recognized the phone in restore mode, release the Home button.
    • Select the Restore button in iTunes, which will reload your phone's firmware.
    • Wait for the phone's firmware to be restored, which will take ~~5 minutes.
    • Make sure you setup your phone as a new phone, instead of restoring from backup
    After the phone is restored, you can then move on to using Sync to reload your applications, music, videos, etc. You'll also need to reset the phone's settings, etc. It does take a bit of time, but I've now done this dozens of times, and it always has worked for me, on both original iPhones, as well as on iPhone 3Gs.

Cheers!
    Mark

P.S. My guess is that the majority (if not all) of the folks who are running into problems like this with 2.1 did an update, instead of a restore (or whom did a restore from backup). Since 2.0x managed to corrupt the data for some of us, keep the corruption off your phone by doing an update instead, and then use syncs to restore your content! After everything is back in working order, you can then go back to using backups as normal.

P.P.S. I'm claiming no invention here, but am just repeating this for folks who might not be familiar with the procedure.

13. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

mine was still crashing after the update, so i just restored from a back up and now it's fine.

i'd try that first before completely wiping and starting fresh.

14. Erukian thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried doing a hard reset (power+home button) as well as doing a normal shutdown--power up using the power button.

No luck, and by crash they immediately quit back to the home screen before the app starts loading.

-Joe

15. DreamPod macrumors 65816

If all apps crash to the home screen immediately, then it's obviously a defective iPhone, you should take it into the Apple Store and at least let the Geniuses try to figure it out.

16. Excellerator macrumors 6502a

I had my apps all crash pre-2.1 but when I installed 2.1 they still crashed. The iPod media did come back though which didn't ever happen before.

I did unsync all the apps with Itunes 8.0, and the resynced them all again. What used to take me 4 hours now only took 30 minutes!!!! I hope this will solve it once and for all.

17. szsz macrumors newbie

OMG I <3 YOU!!!

Wow. This is so obvious yet obviously overlooked. Of course I always have 7 web pages open. DUH.

I wonder how many others are overlooking this? Your post is the first where I've seen this mentioned as a cause for app crashing.

Anyway, thank you. Crashy app situation = SOLVED.

18. Erukian thread starter macrumors newbie

I resolved the issue by going into itunes 8 and deleting all the apps from the apps folder and moving to trash.. then sync'd the iphone to clear everything on it

then i re-downloaded all the apps from the app store and so far everything is working ok!:)

we'll see how long this works for..

-Joe