All My Files for other disks

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by richard.mac, Aug 11, 2011.

1. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

Does anyone know how to edit Finder's All My Files to show files on a particular partition?

I have Lion installed on my first partition and my data on the second partition and All My Files is completely blank.

If you get info in All My Files you can see it's a canned search smart folder with the query (true) && (((kMDItemContentTypeTree = public.content)))

2. Asclepio macrumors 6502a

Asclepio

Did you check spotlight privacy preferences?

3. richard.mac thread starter macrumors 603

richard.mac

Yep, i just have Xcode developer folders in there. Does All My Files show documents on other disks/partitions for you?

what's weird is if i open a Finder search window and choose Kind - Any for "This Mac" nothing shows, then i change it to Kind - Document and like a 10 thousand files show. Maybe its supposed to be like that?

4. kkathman macrumors newbie

All My Files Not Current - Poor Design

At first, I thought this feature would be pretty cool for identifying things that I needed or things I could get to quickly. Seems, though, that it doesn't keep up.

For instance, when I opened Finders and got the All My Files view, by Kind, I noticed there were some images I used on a website from a while back that I really didn't need anymore. I deleted them and emptied the trash. When I opened Finder again...they were still there.

Now please help me understand how that makes ANY sense at all. If you delete files, shouldn't the "All My Files" not show them anymore? I think that the programmers must have built a "fast index" to display them, but then when you delete files it doesn't update that index.

Hopefully there will be a fix soon!

5. richard.mac thread starter macrumors 603

richard.mac

They should not show after deletion, just did a little test creating a doc file on my desktop and it disappears from All My Files straight away after trashing.

Perhaps your search index just needs a little while to show the true results.