"All my files" indexing iPhoto-files

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by kimando, Jul 25, 2011.

1. kimando macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a quick question to you lion users.

I was really happy about the "All my files" option in the finder, since it would really help me find which document I need while still being able to organize things in different subfolders.

Now after a clean install of Lion, when I import and use my iPhoto library from a backup, all photos are indexed in "all my files" along with every little helper picture like faces and stuff. Even two XML-files from the library are indexed, however not every one. Surely this can't have been the meaning? This somehow affects only the iPhoto library and not the iTunes library.

So I have a question to all of you upgraders, if you upgrade from Snow Leopard, do you too get all your photos in the "all my files" option or are they not indexed allowing you to use it as I thought it would be used?

Kind regards
    Kim

2. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

All my files in the finder is just what is says, all your files grouped into categories. I don't know what indexing you are referring to. All my files will update as you add a file to the system. Import a pic and it will appear. Add a document, and it will appear.

3. kimando thread starter macrumors newbie

Maybe indexing is the wrong word, but rather the selection of which files are displayed. I find it a bit strange that this function would display all these files whereof most are not very necessary to work with. And it's also a bit strange that it displays all pictures but not music files.

To me it would be more intuitive to let it display all files that are not part of a library, like texts and PDFs, leaving out pictures and music where iTunes or iPhoto would provide me a much better overview rather than a finder view. But as i said maybe I misunderstood it's purpose

4. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

all my files is a nuisance, it need some variables, i.e. the ability to exclude certain file types.

my main app is Logic, and every little audio file, and every logic file in Recent Items (in that App) are listed in All My Files.

am hoping apple adds some options to this down the line...

5. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I understand now, and like fisher king has mentioned you can't exclude files it shows, but then that would not be , "All my Files", would it?
    I don't see the point of it and have only used it on occasion. You can hide it from the side bar in the Finder Preferences. A start at least.