All my preferences and dock are gone after restart!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by blitz817, Jul 21, 2008.

1. blitz817 macrumors newbie

I really need some help. I have tiger OS X version: 10.4.11. I did a sofware update and was prompted to restart. I did and when it restarted all my apps on my dock are now gone and replaced with the default when I first got the machine. my wallpaper is still there and when I clicked the ichat app I got the setup prompt like when I first got the machine. I am really confused, help greatly appreciated!

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

3. blitz817 thread starter macrumors newbie

I didnt rename it as I dont even know where that is! I dont have a house icon next on te sidebar

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Look in your Users folder. /Macintosh HD/Users/

How many users do you have on your machine? How many folders do you see in the Users folder?

5. blitz817 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have only one user. I see 2 folders. One is a house icon with my name under it and the other is a folder called shared. for some reason though, i feel like i used to have a space in between my first name and my last but that isnt the case right now. I didnt type anything to change it though

6. blitz817 thread starter macrumors newbie

is there anything else that could have gone wrong?

7. applefan69 macrumors 6502a

applefan69

its not a big deal

it just sounds like a bunch of .plist (preference files) got deleted or corrupt. Your system isnt in any danger just simply choose your preferences again. Its a mild inconvienence but thats the worst of it.