All my text just vanished!!!!????

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Seanozz, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Seanozz macrumors member

so i have 100's of text on my phone, some i have been saving for years and i just opened a new one and when i backed out of it ALL of my text except that one were gone!

i have not installed anything new except the 4.2 update yesterday.
    what gives?
    can i get them all back?

can i restore to yesterday if nothing else?

what app can i get on my mac to selct some text and save them.

i really want a few of these back because the person is no longer in my life.

2. iqwertyi macrumors regular

3. eriknba macrumors member

i'm currently talking to apple support about this, and i'm trying to get a consensus of all the information that's relevant. info such as carrier, which phone you have, and what your previous firmware was.

also, if you still have the ability to restore with all your texts, get someone to text you after you have the texts in 4.2.1. see if your phone reboots when you should be receiving that text....

4. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

you should always backup your iPhone before doing any firmware update or JailBreak. it doesnt always happen but it could! very sorry for your loss.

5. eriknba macrumors member

backups WERE done, but after the updgrade, itunes judges that the previous backup can be overwritten as the date stamps are close enough and "not much else" has changed....

6. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

I just posted this on another identical thread like this one. try it it just might work!

this idea wont help if you have already lost your info....well maybe it might. when you connect to iTunes click on your device name (mine is iFixiPhones) and change the name before you try to restore. so you old one is old name and then you back up and then your new one is new name and let it sync. then choose restore from backup and choose old name. I havent updated yet since there is no good solution yet on the JB/Unlock so I dont know if it will work but it should.

good luck!