Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
I don't think it's quite that fast. The Audi RS3 does a 3.9 Zero to 60.
2021 Audi RS 33.9 sec12.1 sec-109 ft.
watch the CARWOW review on youtube...at the 14 minute mark he does the 0-60 test. 4.05 in the R...dang, a golf doing 4 seconds is crazy...

Reactions: synergize

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
And still stuck with capacitive controls for the radio and a/c that aren’t even illuminated at night. Plus the bullet proof reliability they’re generally known for.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
This red trim totally makes this vehicle look classless and like a matchbox car. I just don’t understand why vehicle manufacturers need to go over the top with the whole ‘sporty red trim’ vibe. I like it to a certain degree in the interior and maybe a minimalistic stripe on the grill, but that’s it.

This just looks comical:

E98D2F68-438C-4D94-8BE5-D588E5F2F04F.jpeg

Reactions: Analog Kid

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Rather, will we have an official adapter available?
Yes I kind of always wanted to buy a Cplay2Air or equivalent, but I'm scared Apple will just kill them through an iOS update if they release an official device.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
This red trim totally makes this vehicle look classless and like a matchbox car. I just don’t understand why vehicle manufacturers need to go over the top with the whole ‘sporty red trim’ vibe. I like it to a certain degree in the interior and maybe a minimalistic stripe on the grill, but that’s it.

This just looks comical:

View attachment 1928539
Welcome to VW sport models.

FWIW, VW has a historic right to do this having arguably pioneered making a modest econobox a pocket rocket back in 1976 with the original GTI. This model also featured the disliked red trim such as has become standard on the genre.

Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 5.06.42 PM.png

Now a 2022 Forrester adding such trim is quite gaudy (IMO) VW doing it pays homage to their OG GTI / GLI combo.

But even in the case of the Forrester, I feel modern cars are far to monochromatic in color schemes, so why not splash some color on special models. We don't have to like all of them, so just vote with your wallet.

synergize

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2010
watch the CARWOW review on youtube...at the 14 minute mark he does the 0-60 test. 4.05 in the R...dang, a golf doing 4 seconds is crazy...

Indeed, it was so fast it almost knocked him off his feet. It will be a "sleeper" no question about it!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
To bad this cars aren’t reliable
I Had a 2017 GTI with multiple issues and over heating all the time.
Fun cars though!
I don’t know about that in terms of not being reliable. I think they are, but I think they’re also very costly to fix without the warranty. It’s also fair to say, every model year has different tendencies posing problems, and some issues are more prominent depending which model year that was. Just because your 2017 GTI was overheating, doesn’t mean it was a widespread issue that was happening to the majority of GTI‘s.

I Remember when I purchased a Taurus SHO, [which is a TwinTurbo 3.5 L V6], I had others telling me that the turbos would fail, the timing chain will fail at XYZ miles, and guess what? Never happened to me on two of those cars now that I’ve owned.

Reactions: tooloud10

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I have issues with wired CarPlay on my new-ish VW. Sometimes it just doesn't want to connect.

Hopefully these issues have been worked out for the newer VWs.

To bad this cars aren’t reliable
Yeah, I had a major issue with my 2019 Jetta S.

Less than a year old, and my new Jetta was broken down, and I was stranded. Ended up being a throttle position sensor.

While it was really annoying, and my faith in the VW brand and their reliability was lost, I didn't regret my purchase. I got a hell of a deal, only paying $15,900.

Got the base model (with only the safety package added) as it was the only Jetta with a manual trans. It is boring to drive, but gets crazy good gas mileage and good for commuting:

IMG_5124.PNG

TurboJobo

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2009
San Diego/Tijuana
I don’t know about that in terms of not being reliable. I think they are, but I think they’re also very costly to fix without the warranty. It’s also fair to say, every model year has different tendencies posing problems, and some issues are more prominent depending which model year that was. Just because your 2017 GTI was overheating, doesn’t mean it was a widespread issue that was happening to the majority of GTI‘s.

I Remember when I purchased a Taurus SHO, [which is a TwinTurbo 3.5 L V6], I had others telling me that the turbos would fail, the timing chain will fail at XYZ miles, and guess what? Never happened to me on two of those cars now that I’ve owned.
Google GTI mk7 multiple water pump issues and most have to be replace every 30-40k a long with the electric thermostat they also have carbon build up and DSG issues.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Google GTI mk7 multiple water pump issues and most have to be replace every 30-40k
Constructively, why don’t you provide links? Instead of diverting me to Google. This is your claim and argument, is it not?

I’d be happy to read whatever information you have regarding the 17’ GTI, as I am a huge car enthusiast, but I’m not doing your legwork for you over something that you made a claim of, not me. I merely just pointed out that just because you experience one problem with a vehicle, doesn’t mean it happens to every other owner of that same year.

Reactions: SuperCachetes

TurboJobo

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2009
San Diego/Tijuana
Constructively, why don’t you provide links? Instead of diverting me to Google. This is your claim and argument, is it not?

I’d be happy to read whatever information you have regarding the 17’ GTI, as I am a huge car enthusiast, but I’m not doing your legwork for you over something that you made a claim of, not me. I merely just pointed out that just because you experience one problem with a vehicle, doesn’t mean it happens to every other owner of that same year.

• Haha
Reactions: upgradeordie

twistedpixel8

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017
Is part of that due to EU regulations regarding controls and such? Been a while since I read Autocar but I seem to recall an article warning that central buttons and such tasks will need to move to the steering hub to help prevent distracted driving.

Regardless, Overall the trend in VAG is really furstrating as I have zero interest in MMI Touch in the newer Audi models, and while I love everything else about the current generation (C8) A6 Allroad, I don't want to depart from my tactile buttons of my C7.5 A6 with classic MMI, and winter glove friendly buttons.

Nothing is as good as the chunky buttons and knobs my MK3 VR6 Jetta has though ;) .
Ah but it’s because they want you to pay for the winter pack (for a soul-destroying $5,000) that gives you a heated steering wheel so you don’t need to wear gloves ?

Reactions: 840quadra

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Ah but it’s because they want you to pay for the winter pack (for a soul-destroying $5,000) that gives you a heated steering wheel so you don’t need to wear gloves ?
Haha, I would do the same. I have an A6 Avant 3.0T and a later A6 Sedan 3.0T both with a heated wheel. I can't go without anymore here in Minnesota!!!

Is the screen heated on the new VWs? ;)

twistedpixel8

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017

This just looks comical:

View attachment 1928539
I like the red calipers but that fake intake surround is awful. Reminds me of a baboon’s arse.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I love the Golf and GTI but this years model looks so... not GTI.

The interior looks like a touch input worst nightmare.

twistedpixel8

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017
Haha, I would do the same. I have an A6 Avant 3.0T and a later A6 Sedan 3.0T both with a heated wheel. I can't go without anymore here in Minnesota!!!

Is the screen heated on the new VWs? ;)
Well supposedly Ford’s patent expired so I think VW are now offering it in Europe at least. Definitely not standard though.

I wish I optioned the heated steering wheel on my T-Roc. Wasn’t that expensive but I figured it wasn’t worth it. It absolutely would have been. Next car I’ll pay whatever they ask haha. I find myself holding the wheel at weird positions just to keep my hands behind the blowers.

Reactions: 840quadra

Truckondo

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2009
Every single review of the new GTI / GOLF R has given the infotainment systems a thumbs down. What focus group members or execs thought it was a good idea to have touch sensitive buttons on a steering wheel and non illuminated touch buttons right under the screen? Other than that, the Golf R (in manual) would be my pick if I needed a new car.

Reactions: SuperCachetes

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
does this matchbox stop in snow?
Snow performance has more to do with the tires than the car the tires are on.

The tires in the picture of the blue car look like summer tires, so probably not very good (or potentially dangerous) in snow.

It would probably be a good idea to buy a second set of wheels with all-season or snow tires if one will be using these VWs in the snow.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Snow performance has more to do with the tires than the car the tires are on.

The tires in the picture of the blue car look like summer tires, so probably not very good (or potentially dangerous) in snow.
i saw these electric cars slide through intersections in madison wi, 2015
which was kinda funny!
the look on the driver going or sliding 5MPH through a red light with the content look of helplessness.
even the coated dogs new these cars can't stop and took caution.
what a fun day that was!

twistedpixel8

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017
Every single review of the new GTI / GOLF R has given the infotainment systems a thumbs down. What focus group members or execs thought it was a good idea to have touch sensitive buttons on a steering wheel and non illuminated touch buttons right under the screen? Other than that, the Golf R (in manual) would be my pick if I needed a new car.
Why manual? The DSG is so well suited to a car/engine like in the R. And if you get the top version, manual mode doesn’t nanny you.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
i saw these electric cars slide through intersections in madison wi, 2015
which was kinda funny!
the look on the driver going or sliding 5MPH through a red light with the content look of helplessness.
even the coated dogs new these cars can't stop and took caution.
what a fun day that was!
I live in the DC/Balt/Phil area of MD, and will only see a handful snow/ice storms on average during the winter, but I always have at least one of my vehicles with snow tires for the snowy days.

I have five cars, three of the five has a set of winter wheels/tires. I don't always swap the wheels on all three, usually two, and some seasons just one (my wife's car).

During warm weather (and basically any time it is not snowing), I prefer summer tires, but will never use summer tires in snow. I have used summer tires in snow in the past few decades ago, back when I was less knowledgeable about tires, and I am lucky I didn't kill myself and/or someone else.

As with the ID.4, volume and climate controls are located in a capacitive strip below the main screen and are operated by swiping left or right.
I really hate this for stuff like volume and climate controls.

Seems like this is the direction newer cars are going towards, too. Really missing knobs and physical buttons.

AJTC

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2012
My Golf MK8 R-Line has wireless Carplay. I'm pretty sure the 2020 models did too. Weird for this to be announced now and specifically for the R and GTI.

Reactions: hwojtek
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.