All of a sudden ... dead pixel?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by James.K.Polk, Feb 2, 2017.

1. James.K.Polk macrumors 6502a

Absent all the other problems I've been having with my 2015 15" MacBook Pro, I just noticed a dead pixel right in the center of the screen. It's certainly new (past 24-48h) and now, of course, I can't stop staring at it.

I have AppleCare for my computer, and it's more than a year old. Is this something that's covered? Does this just happen to computers? I sort of assumed that because the screen was okay at the start, it would stay that way!

Edit: There are actually a couple, at different point.

2. Mindinversion macrumors 6502

Mindinversion

Could be stuck, not dead.

Try running that in full screen for an hour or two. If they remain, it's time to take it up with Apple.

And yea, any pixel can get stuck or die at any time. I've got one on a Surface Book that popped up just recently, have had it for over a year.

3. James.K.Polk thread starter macrumors 6502a

I actually did that last night, no luck. Will head to Apple today. Pretty frustrating, I feel like I'm there at least once a month...

4. idark77 macrumors 6502

idark77

Can you post a photo?
    If you have AppleCare you are covered and I suggest to require a repair very soon because the probability that the dead pixels will increase is very high...

5. James.K.Polk thread starter macrumors 6502a

IMG_0256.JPG

This is one of ~4 spots where this happened. Clearly not the end of the world, but very annoying. Currently at the Apple Store for diagnostics.

6. jerryk macrumors 68020

It happens. Elements die from time to time. Hopefully they will replace your display since you have AppleCare

7. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Could you ask them what the dead pixel policy is ?

8. James.K.Polk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can try. I'm really worried this won't get taken care of, because the computer has other issues (not waking from sleep) and they seem to read right past the dead pixels in the notes. It's at the Depot now.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think Apple doesn't publicly disclose their dead pixel policy - at least they hadn't in the past.

10. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

11. James.K.Polk thread starter macrumors 6502a

I can try, though. I'm worried it won't get taken care of, because it's been sent to the Depot for an unrelated issue, and though I've noted the dead pixel problem, they seem to focus on the start-up issue (and reasonably so... I just wish they'd tackle both). Anyway, I'll keep ya posted.

12. James.K.Polk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, they had the device less than 24h and it's being shipped out, so I'm pessimistic that they did many repairs.... frustrating!

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As long as your dead pixel is gone, that's all that matters however - good luck

14. James.K.Polk thread starter macrumors 6502a

New display! So happy!

15. ge.caroline macrumors newbie

Is your model with the dedicated GPU?

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nice, enjoy your newly repaired baby :)

17. James.K.Polk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nope! The report said the issue was with the sleep/wake module. They also couldn't reproduce it after entirely reformatting and doing the in-house reinstall, but they replaced the screen anyway. I haven't had the sleep/wake issue, and I got rid of my dead pixels! So happy - hoping this computer lasts me several more years.