Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mantic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2007
AL
This started this morning... actual browsing the net is super slow. I'm on wireless but have a full signal and check my desktop that is also on the same wireless and it's fast.. I'm using Camino as my browser but i also tried Safari out to make sure it wasn't the browser. After that in deleted and reinstalled Camino.. Didn't help at all.

All other computers in the house are running fine.. Wondering if there isn't a problem with airport?

mantic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2007
AL
most likely is file sharing or someone playing online. Its usually one of those two.
No one else is online right now and there is no file sharing.. No bandwidth other then what i'm useing to post this comment is being used. Like i mentioned.. I've tested 3 other computers on the same network and they all work fine.. Mine seems to be the only one having a problem..

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Mine seems to be the only one having a problem..

Transfer a file to another computer and test the speed. If it's fast, then you know it's a problem with your internet settings on your machine. If it's slow, then you can assume it's a problem with your network settings or your network or your AirPort card. :)

NickD

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2007
Colorado
Unfortunately I don't have many tips, but try rebooting your router.

I've had a problem for a while now with my connection, where it is lightning fast when I first boot up my router, but then slows down to about 10-30 kbps after 10-15 minutes. I find that rebooting the router fixes it temporarily.

NickD

OscarTheGrouch

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2007
G' Vegas South Carolina
I had this problem last week. I did everything thats been suggested.. sometimes you have to man up and call your ISP.. after an hour on the phone with them, they figured out the problem was on their end and got it fixed.

mantic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2007
AL
It seems to halfway normal now.. I dunno what the deal is. It's strange that all other computers have been fine... It's still slower then it should be.

Yes I've rebooted and shut down about 10 times now :) the only thing i've done different from the norm is take it to a coffee shop and connect to their wireless but that shouldn't effect anything..

bassy6

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2007
Yeah, I too have the same problem. I have 16mb broadband which is really fast and I only get about 9.64mb max. It takes some time for videos and photos and sometimes but rarely web pages. I know 9mb is still fast but like i said thats max. It averages like 6-9. I brought a friend round with his PC laptop and he got up to 15mb, where as my macbook would only get 9.64mb. I was so mad. (still am) I need to find a fix. I have a DG834GT Netgear router supplied with my ISP SKY Broadband.

I feel for you bro, as it is very annoying to know that others work fine but the 1 you want doesn't. This has ben going on since I had it but recently noticed when I ran a speedtest 4 fun just to test speed and do it all the time and no change. Have tried rebooting, going into my router settings, changing channels of networks becuz other have same channel as me but no change. So I dunno but I would so be off the wall with happiness if I can get even close to 16mb.(at least 12 or 13mb but 9mb. Might aswell downgrade to 8mb, and I do not want to do that as 16mb is a heck of a lot faster, and I do loads of downloading, and game on Halo a lot. plz some1 help.:confused: :) :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.