Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jon08

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
While I was downstairs the screensaver on my MBP turned on after 5 mins as usual. When I came back and moved the mouse as to remove the screensaver, the entire screen appeared kind of blueish, what the heck???

Everything is normal, except the contrast seems to be of slightly blue-er color than usual, like, the entire screen looks light blue tint-ish...

Has anyone ever experienced such thing??

jon08

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
I just went to System Preferences and clicked Displays, and now the problem has disappeared.

What was it, tho?? And why does this "tint" problem happen?

tamasvarga67

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2007
I use to have the same thing sometimes and solution for me also is to toggle the display options in syspref.
I don't know what causes it though...

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
Colour Profiles

The screen will do that when the system switches back to the generic LCD colour profile, which can be caused by some applications (especially games that run in full screen).

Did it do it all of a sudden whilst you were doing normal stuff (Web browsing etc.)? It shouldn't do that, but that could be an issue with the default colour profile for the display being missing, although I doubt that would happen. :eek:

jon08

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
Yeah, well, as I said I went downstairs (while downloading something and having 1 web browser window open; nothing else), then the screensaver came on and when I came back I realized the screen was unusually "tinted" color. I'm not sure if the tint appeared before screensaver, but my guess is it got triggered after I moved the mouse to remove the screensaver.

This is the first time something like this happened on my 3-month-old MBP, and I've been using it every day! It still puzzles me though. What leads to this tinted screen?

zero85ZEN

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2009
Indianapolis
...This is the first time something like this happened on my 3-month-old MBP, and I've been using it every day! It still puzzles me though. What leads to this tinted screen?

Don't know but you may have this to look forward to:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/515067/

All Nvidia G84/86 cards are defective from the manufacturer and WILL eventually fail. Some pretty unhappy folks posting in the above linked thread. Glad I got my MBP too early and missed out on that little gem of a gpu.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
Yeah, well, as I said I went downstairs (while downloading something and having 1 web browser window open; nothing else), then the screensaver came on and when I came back I realized the screen was unusually "tinted" color. I'm not sure if the tint appeared before screensaver, but my guess is it got triggered after I moved the mouse to remove the screensaver.

This is the first time something like this happened on my 3-month-old MBP, and I've been using it every day! It still puzzles me though. What leads to this tinted screen?

I think its a bug with the screen saver. Turn it off. Problem should go away. Not sure why Apple hasnt fixed this yet.

Markov

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Philadelphia
Don't know but you may have this to look forward to:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/515067/

All Nvidia G84/86 cards are defective from the manufacturer and WILL eventually fail. Some pretty unhappy folks posting in the above linked thread. Glad I got my MBP too early and missed out on that little gem of a gpu.

I doubt that is the issue. This issue just seems like a simple OS X color profile glitch.

OP: Until you start seeing random artifacts on the screen and f***ed up graphics, do not worry about the nVidia defect. I still hold the opinion that not all cards are defective.

mbpnewbie

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2009
This just happened to me 20 seconds ago. I left my computer for about an hour to make some phone calls, and I just got back to a blueish screen. I went to my display settings and everything changed back. I just thought it was a coincidence as one of the last threads I read before I left was this one... oh well... ciggy time!

jon08

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
Weird stuff. I've only experienced it once for now. But still wondering why it happens tho...

Galak Fyarr

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
The only times I've experienced that is when I was playing Halo, and I hit Command+H to switch to another app. then everything was blue-ish. but it was back to normal once I had quit Halo normally...

winninganthem

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008
I get this issue pretty often after I wake it from screensaver. It's not that big of a deal though to me, I just open up 'Display' prefs and it fixes itself. It's slightly annoying, but not all that bad.

Get Quicksilver, then all you need to do is hit "ctrl+space" and type "dis" and hit enter and then Display Prefs opens up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.