Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I snapped a screenshot yesterday while I was updating my contact information on an old account. When I got to the email field, I was presented with two Gmail accounts belonging to my sister-in-law. I enabled family sharing with my brother about a month ago but nothing with her. Super strange because I updated about 30 accounts and it only happened the one time.

Seems Google is the common factor here. Shocking.

tAMoncrieffe

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2021
The people posting this bs are trolls. They come and create an account and make one post. Check their profiles.
I have been searching the internet for answers for two days and came across this particular thread and found it interesting that this is almost the only place where it’s been described to me by others as it is happening to me. Nothing helpful from Apple. So, the next step is to find others experiencing the same frustrations.

My teen daughter has her own iPhone, MacBook Air and iPad. I have my own iPhone, MacBook Pro and iMac. We have both had our own Apple iD’s for many years. We do Family Sharing and have never shared devices. The only thing I have it set up for is for her Screen Time limits and so she can’t buy things without my permission as well as to share our Apple Music, Apple TV + and iCloud storage account.

When I got her MacBook Air just last week, I set up the computer with my Apple ID initially, so I could create an Admin account and set up our AirPort Extreme Network. Then I set up her Apple ID for her private user account. I went back into the admin account and deleted my Apple ID from the computer. So there is no Apple ID being used on that end. The “Find My” app shows the laptop being used under HER Apple ID only.

So, why are all of MY passwords for my bank accounts, credit cards, emails, work accounts… showing up on her user account which utilizes HER Apple ID?

This is legitimate issue which has actually been discussed in some random articles I found dating back to 2019.

I’m literally an Apple customer for life. But I, much like a few others on this thread, would also like to know what to do when issues arise.

Here is the article:

Last edited by a moderator:

Runs For Fun

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2017
I have been searching the internet for answers for two days and came across this particular thread and found it interesting that this is almost the only place where it’s been described to me by others as it is happening to me. Nothing helpful from Apple. So, the next step is to find others experiencing the same frustrations.

My teen daughter has her own iPhone, MacBook Air and iPad. I have my own iPhone, MacBook Pro and iMac. We have both had our own Apple iD’s for many years. We do Family Sharing and have never shared devices. The only thing I have it set up for is for her Screen Time limits and so she can’t buy things without my permission as well as to share our Apple Music, Apple TV + and iCloud storage account.

When I got her MacBook Air just last week, I set up the computer with my Apple ID initially, so I could create an Admin account and set up our AirPort Extreme Network. Then I set up her Apple ID for her private user account. I went back into the admin account and deleted my Apple ID from the computer. So there is no Apple ID being used on that end. The “Find My” app shows the laptop being used under HER Apple ID only.

So, why are all of MY passwords for my bank accounts, credit cards, emails, work accounts… showing up on her user account which utilizes HER Apple ID?

This is legitimate issue which has actually been discussed in some random articles I found dating back to 2019.

I’m literally an Apple customer for life. But I, much like a few others on this thread, would also like to know what to do when issues arise.

Here is the article:

Could it be that when you set up her MacBook Air with your Apple ID things got synced to her ID before you removed yours. Even though you removed yours it may have been too late.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
I'm so glad I use 1Password to store my passwords instead of using Keychain. Whew!
It's a given that Apple continues to be incompetent wrt Internet services, but people throw money at them for it anyway. It would never even occur to me to use iCloud for anything I cared about.

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
Definitely a serious problem. I’m a bit worried now having just signed up for Apple One and Family Sharing. Perhaps this old thread can shed some light.

[doublepost=1552760889][/doublepost]This happened to me too. My son had all of my password and credit card information on his iPad. We use Family sharing and are singed into our own include accounts. But it turned out that my email address was used as his iCloud recovery email address. I took that email off of his iCloud account, turn off his keychain, then turned it back on and all the passwords were gone. Bad thing was that all of his passwords were gone too, but I have them in my keychain so it was not a total loss for him. Dig deep into both of your iCloud accounts. You probably have a common email in there somewhere that is linking the account (even though it should not).

I had a similarly strange problem. When I tried to set up a new AirTag, my phone thought I was my father. My father’s Apple ID showed up, and the prompt asked “him” if he wanted to switch to “my iPhone” to continue setup. Setup then failed, and a prompt appeared asking “him” to update his security settings.

I went into my Apple ID settings via the website, and I noticed I was using his mobile phone number as an account recovery number. I removed his number and tried to set up the AirTag again. It worked.

OP, do any of your Family Sharing members use your AppleID email or phone number as account recovery information?

friendlyriver

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2021
Hi! Has anyone found a fix for this? I'm encountering the same issue...

I have never shared an Apple ID / email / phone number with my husband. We have separate iPhones, and have never logged into each other's account.

I did add him to my Family Sharing, and recently gave him access to extra storage space with my iCloud 2TB storage. That seemed to have triggered something and shared ALL my Keychain passwords with his iPhone. This must be a huge Apple bug because it's not suppose to work that way.

(There are many others who have encountered this same problem if you do a quick Google search for "why are my iPhone passwords being shared in another family member's device?")

jackterror

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2021
Same thing just happened to me. Set up wifes new phone with her icloud login, and suddenly she has all my passwords and even photo albums. Its pretty crazy. I'm just login into my bank from her phone without putting any info in. If we had kids on a family share, it would be really bad.

Can't find a solution to even fix. Tempted to wipe phone and reinstall, but assume it will just happen again.

jackterror

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2021
Why do people use this Apple-provided service, again?
Yeah, literally didn’t know it was so ducktaped together. Was happy to combine bills from 2 iCloud IDs and multiple platforms under one. Regret not investigating more now. Wouldn’t, if could figure out a fix or solution… but seems like it isn’t there.

AdamNC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2018
Leland NC
A handful of people have this issue. And it's oh evil Apple is trash BS again. God I really can't stand that some expect absolute perfection from a machine and software made by people. Nothing is perfect.

Reactions: SuperCachetes

jackterror

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2021
A handful of people have this issue. And it's oh evil Apple is trash BS again. God I really can't stand that some expect absolute perfection from a machine and software made by people. Nothing is perfect.
Not looking for perfection, rather just apple acknowledging it as an issue (even if just for a few) and giving us a way to resolve it. It is our passwords and logins being put on someone else’s device. Whether they are in your family or not, this is a super insecure bug that has been happening for 2 years to users, it deserves an attempt at fixing it. It’s not that it happened that the issue, it’s that there is no way to fix it.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
I don't expect perfection. But that doesn't mean I use known-broken, either. Apple's attempts at services are marred by incompetence. I migrated anything I cared about off of all iCloud-related services years ago.

ventmore

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
This post from another thread is interesting:

ventmore

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
I was just listening to the Mac Geek Gab podcast and they talked about a guy whose wife's Mac was bringing in all his contacts and text messages etc. He'd bought the Mac through his Apple account but, other than wrapping it up and handing it to her, he hadn't touched the machine. She set it up with her own Apple ID...she doesn't even know his login details...and hers was the only account on the machine.

I wonder if this may be a similar issue......did anyone who's having this problem buy the family devices through their account?

Here's the podcast link......the discussion is at 01:02:55 - Will-There’s something lingering in Apple’s Databases.

Pemberton_Malcolm

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2021
Just to be clear.
You tap Safari browser and go to google.com and tap the little icon at the top right you can see your login and your wife's?

Contact Google support. Ask about People & Sharing > Family groups
It is sharing credit card numbers, and non-Google passwords, also bank account numbers.

the common denominator here is Family Sharing.

Each person with this problem, switched on Family Sharing.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
This seem like a really big deal. Which makes me wonder....why is it not getting more attention? Is the problem limited to only a small number of users?

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
This seem like a really big deal. Which makes me wonder....why is it not getting more attention? Is the problem limited to only a small number of users?
I have family sharing and our accounts are not shared.
I have a "bit" (just over 10 years) of experience with software development on iPhones (but limited experience with family sharing) and have not encountered this issue.
work.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.