All other smartphone manufacturers are obsolete?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by waywardsage, Mar 7, 2008.

1. waywardsage macrumors 6502

waywardsage

After watching the SDK Stevenote one thing poped into my mind:

Blackberry, Palm and all the gang just collectively crapped their pants. Within' 3 years, (probably 1) iPhone will comeplete dominate the smartphone market.

But its even larger than that. The iPhone isn't a phone. It will truly become a computer in your pocket. Apple is genius for doing one thing=courting the enterprise customer. They are the ones that stear the information technology market. If they had done it a long time ago with the mac they wouldn't have lost so much ground to Microsoft.

I think the iPhone is their revenge blow to Microsoft for copying Apples OS to create Windoze back in the day.

Being a consumer, and not a developer I am excited to see what apps get developed for us. I'm almost delusional to create my own company to develop applications for it!

With the release of the inevitable 2nd gen 3G iPhone+ the 2.0 Software update. There's pretty much no reason NOT to buy an iPhone. It remove all the barriers that we have between our work, personal and social lives and enable us to seamlessly manage everything with less stress, more communication and better connectivity.

Sheesh...have I drank the cool aid ;)

I'm waiting to get the 2nd gen iPhone but am limping along with a motorola RAZR. After seeing what the iPhone is capable of, i just shake my head at the lack of vision with every other cell manufacturer out there.

2. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Yes, too much Kool-Aid :)

All that happened was that Apple started bringing things closer to the biz/dev level that should've been there all along.

Enterprises won't drop their WM or RIM projects that are developed on PCs and run to buy Macs... especially if they have to host proprietary apps outside their corporate intranet.

(typed from my touch)

3. waywardsage thread starter macrumors 6502

waywardsage

True,

It should have been there. But I think theres a "grand scheme" to dominate the cell market like the iPod did with the portable music market. Or even more so.

In 3 years, we'll all be carrying around minicomputers in our pockets that are as powerful as a laptop is today. It's almost already there. This WILL be the next big tech revolution.

The internet
    The cell phone
    the pocket computer = iPhone?

4. The Phazer macrumors 68030

I don't think yesterday quite delivers that.

If we were get UI improvements a bit faster, and some more functionality opened up, then I can see it going that way. And I really think pricing needs to be reconsidered in many territories.

But if these things can be done, then maybe…

Phazer

5. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Again, all that happened was Apple added what others have, and what iPhone should've had at launch.

Still missing basics such as copy/paste, mms, video, A2DP, Bluetooth file transfer, etc.

A long way yet to go.

6. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

If they just added full BT support (so I could get the Apply BT keyboard), this would be the absolute perfect device for me.
    I'd love to be able to take notes in class on my iPhone, and I'm positive there will be free text editors out there right away, but the on-screen keyboard is not incredibly conducive to quick note taking.

Add full BT support, I could just bring my dock with me, set the iPhone in it on my desk and whip out the little BT keyboard.
    Ugh it sounds so good, they better make it possible.

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Back around 2001, I carried around a Jornado 720 with CDPD wireless modem. It fit in my jacket pocket, was more powerful than many personal computers predating it, and I could bid on eBay while out to dinner. (sad but true)

So this prediction has been true for a long time. The difference now is, people are more used to using the Internet and see a benefit in a portable device.

Critical mass.

8. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

This is why Americans sometimes annoy me - the ridculously US-centric view of the world some of you guys have.

Let's talk facts:

The global smartphone market for Q4 2007 amounted to 35 million units. Of those 53% (or about 18 million) were Nokia phones running Symbian. RIM came in second with 4 million (about 11%) and Apple third with 2.3 million (about 6.5%). Now it's true that Symbian doesn't have much market penetration in the US - mainly due to Nokia's (who own Symbian) determination not to bow to the idiosyncracies of the US market - but they dominate elsewhere. Given the iPhone's mediocre showing in Europe it's fair to say that Nokia will not be losing much sleep over it at the moment.

However, it is clear that with the launch of the SDK that Apple will be better equipped to compete in the world market. It is also fair to say that it's going to find it tough against Symbian S60v3 which already has a vibrant and established third part development community.

Apple may well end up eating a large slice of RIM's American pie, the world is a different matter.

9. waywardsage thread starter macrumors 6502

waywardsage

:DI could have half a dozen arguments about how "americans annoy you." But I won't. But also remember, its not polite to lump us all together. We're a country of 300 million people. We all don't have SUV's and drink Star Bucks and yell all the time.:D

Aside from that, you can't forget that financially, America is a Juggernaut. America has the largest population in the developed world, (I wouldn't say China, India and Brazil are as developed yet.) It's a massive market.

So don't blame all us "American's." I've been in hundreds of meetings with sales people from dozens of different industries, and the constantly talk about how they have to treat the "domenstic market" different from the "international market." So, its a philosophy thats been perpetuated from those who are selling and marketing the products from the ground up.

Plus, by sticking your neck out there and calling all us americans anoying your just asking for people to flame you with idiotic posts.

Don't tease the sleeping dragon.

10. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

Fair enough - should have said some Americans. Mind you, we Europeans are just as guilty of being Eurocentric at times.

It's just annoying when people forget there's another 5.7 billion people out there! ;)

11. waywardsage thread starter macrumors 6502

waywardsage

I think Europe would have alot more buying power in the world market if it were one United Nation like the US. The EU is a step toward that, and the Euro is very strong now. But I think they could really compete with the US if they all banded together into a unified Federal system.

Our founding fathers united the colonies who were esentially separate countries into a single federal system. People cooperating are alot stronger than a bunch of small independed states.

12. cube macrumors G5

13. parham55 macrumors member

(golf clap)

but I have used a symbian based phone and found it to be very awkward

14. Vegeta-san macrumors 6502

Honestly OP, I agree with you, and because of that, laughed my ass off when I saw this (true, time will bear me out) quote by Fake Steve Jobs:
    "BlackBerry is dead. Microsoft is dead. Windows Mobile is dead. Amazon is dead. Kindle is dead. Nokia is dead. Motorola was already dead but now they are even more dead. Google's Android is dead. Samsung is dead. LG is dead. Sony is dead. UTStarcom is dead."

15. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Yes those other smartphones are much better than the iPhone!

16. SteveSparks macrumors 6502a

SteveSparks

It's not about fast data transfer, its about user interface.

17. sjo macrumors 6502a

no, it's about technology and usability. not one or the other.

back to the topic, in the second half this year most of the smart phones sold in euroland (and all the new ones, except for iphone) have gps, 10x transfer speed of iphone, 3.2 - 5 mpix auto-focus camera with better lens than iphone, vibrant developer community making thousands of apps every year, tens if not hundreds of games available, music store accessible through the cellular data, no restriction for implementing voip, pretty decent user interface etc. high end smartphones have digital tv with recording capability, tv-out and fm-transmitter. not to mention things that are taken for granted today, such as radio, mms, cut and paste, ms document readers/writers, multitasking for 3rd party apps, etc.

so no, i don't think other smartphone manufacturers are obsolate.

18. waywardsage thread starter macrumors 6502

waywardsage

I'll give you GPS, and a couple of the others. But most people don't use a majority of the functions of their phone.

And, to be fair, those other phones don't have the graphically rich interface that the iPhone has. Or the ease of use. iPhone is so easy, even those people who are technophones could even jump on the bandwagon.

So while its cool that those other phones in Europe have all the features under the sun, how much of the populance ACTUALLY uses them on a regular basis?

19. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

Apparently about 18 million people a quarter don't.

Smartphones need to be relevant and usable. The mediocre sales of the iPhone in Europe should tell you that it doesn't cut the mustard in the UK, France or Germany. The SDK may change that, but to suggest that this alone will make other smartphones obsolete is a bit silly.

20. sjo macrumors 6502a

it might be that you have no idea what you're talking about. s60 is already graphically rich. the upcoming fp2 release will make it even more so.

and i though apple introduced sdk for iphone exactly in order for people to have more features on their phones. now you're saying, uff, actually, people don't want that and are not going to use them. which way is it?

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

On trade the EU is essentially one country, as we have joint membership of the WTO. And one with a larger GDP than the US.

That is due to two reasons.

1) The contracts are/were expensive, they are now better in the UK, but there is no contract at the sweet point of £25/month.

2) The phone isn't 3G, which has massive coverage and EDGE is limited here, so you are mostly stuck using the iPhone on GPRS which really sucks.