All over Italy with my D90 + 18-200VR (pics inside)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by cutsman, Nov 7, 2009.

1. cutsman macrumors regular

So back in Aug, I asked for advice on what lenses to bring on my trip 2-week long trip around Italy in September. I got a variety of answers at the time, but ended up bringing my 18-200VR and my Sigma 10-20mm for my D90. The 18-200 ended up staying on my camera 95% of the time.
    Here are some of my shots all taken with the 18-200VR, except the last photo (more can be found at my zenfolio site in my signature below).

Please let me know what you guys think... what you liked, what you didn't like...etc. Thanks for looking! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Abokiniec macrumors newbie

3. phas3 macrumors 65816

4. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

5. Mr Ski 73 macrumors regular

Thanks for sharing keen to know where the 6th shot is taken.

6. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

18-200VR is the perfect travel lens - the only one I take nowadays :)

7. phas3 macrumors 65816

how do you like the d90 and how much dothey run nowadays?

8. 88888888 macrumors 6502a

dang. these are some nice shots.

Do you shoot in raw?

9. wassupdoc macrumors newbie

beautiful photos! Love the canal with the colorful buildings

10. ckseid macrumors newbie

Great Set of Photos!
    I like the coliseum shot a lot! :)

11. svndmvn Guest

nice shots!
    the 6th looks like Venice, what about the 7th?

12. iWright macrumors member

Did you do anything special for the nice wide shot of the Flavian Amphitheatre?

13. cutsman thread starter macrumors regular

Wow. Thanks for the kinda words guys! I really wasn't expecting to get such positive comments!

To answer some of your questions...

#6 was taken on the island of Burano (known for their lace industry). It's a beautiful little island about 45min boat ride from Venice, with streets lined with multicoloured store fronts. It's a fantastic place to visit, especially if you're tired of all the tourists in Venice.

#7 was taken in Cinque Terre just west of the Tuscany region. It's a series of 5 small coastal towns, all joined by hiking trails. Takes about 5 hours to hike from the first town to the last, but unfortunately, it had rained quite heavily the night before, so only a small section of the trail was open to us. It's commonly regarded as one of the most beautiful regions in Italy. The photo below is the town of Vernazza, probably one of the nicer towns of Cinque Terre.

[​IMG]

14. cutsman thread starter macrumors regular

I shoot RAW and process in Aperture/Photoshop. Considering migrating to lightroom though since Aperture seems to be unable to efficiently handle my growing library. It's REALLY REALLY slow after a few simple edits... maybe I can use that as an excuse to get a Mac Pro...? :D

I couldn't agree more. On a few trips now, I've brought the 18-200VR along with a couple other lenses and the 18-200 just says on my camera. I should probably bring just that lens and enjoy a lighter bag. I don't get why that lens gets such a bad rep... it's almost become a lens that's cool to hate.

The colliseum shot is a panorama, created by stitching together 6 shots taken in portrait orientation. Stitching and processing was done all in PS.

15. LMT macrumors newbie

16. epicwelshman macrumors 6502a

epicwelshman

I love love LOVE the shot of the chairs from above.

17. mep42 macrumors member

18. someoldguy macrumors 65816

Great album!!! Maybe someday I'll get over there

19. Little HZ macrumors regular

Little HZ

These are terrific! They really make me want to go to Italy!

In the very first shot, I'd like to be able to see a LITTLE more detail in that dark shadow on left, if the available data would allow that ...

20. ArtandStructure macrumors member

The third and fourth shots do nothing for me, but the rest are excellent. Keep up the good work.

All the best,

Jesse Widener
    Art and Structure

21. sananda macrumors 68020

22. scottkifnw macrumors regular

scottkifnw

nice

sweet.

Tell us why you used one lens so much and not the other

23. cutsman thread starter macrumors regular

Yup... the data is available in there... I can most definitely pull out a little more detail from the shadows. I initially wanted to create a lot of contrast between the shadows and the sunny area, but maybe I over did it a tad? :)

Thanks for your honest opinion! I really appreciate it! Is there anything you would recommend on how I can improve those photos? Or is it simply a non-compelling subject/composition?

IMO, the 18-200VR is the most versatile nikon lens for DX. When traveling with my gf (who's not a big photog herself), I don't want to stop to change lenses all the time. When traveling and walking about, the 18-200VR covers most of my needs.. and I can focus on taking pictures rather than changing lenses. The only couple times I switched to the 10-20mm, was when 18mm wasn't wide enough to capture what I wanted... which happened maybe a few times only during the course of my 2 week long trip.

24. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

Brings back some great memories when I traveled abroad, excellent job my friend.