All owners of Techshell Black Rubberized. Please step in..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by antmay, Sep 1, 2007.

1. antmay macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have a couple of questions for those who own/owned the Techshell Black
    Rubberized case.

http://www.techshell.biz/blru17mapro.html

-Is BOTH the top and bottom using rubberized material?
    -Will the case leave any scratches or marks on the MBP?
    -Lastly, after the case is put on, how difficult to remove it? Some owner of other case ( speck ) said that you need a "steady hand" to remove it.

Thanks for any feedbacks given.
    Anthony

2. marks47 macrumors newbie

Yes. The case inside is the same hard plastic shell as the other Techshells, but with a rubberized paint-like coating. Different feel, better grip.
    It certainly shouldn't. The most likely way of doing that is to get sand or course dust in there. I can't think of any complaints we've had about that happening.
    Steady hand... That's fair to say. The newer it is, the tighter it's going to be, but it's not brain surgery, either. Search Youtube for techshell and you'll see a video we just posted for install and removal. Some people with short fingernails, like me, often resort to a credit card to get the top off.

Hope that helps.

3. wassabie macrumors newbie

I've bought the techshell rubberized hard case the week I got my computer. I can vouch for the quality of techshell. It doesn't have all the lines that the speck case has. The ports and the plugs are still accessible.
    I work in a place that uses IBMs and having the case makes it blend into the crowd so it does stand out too much.

-both top and bottom are rubberized. There are also little clear rubber feet on the bottom of the case which is nice.

-the fit is nice. I can close the lid and it matches nicely. The only thing is that the angle that the screen can open to is a little smaller...but not noticable.

-I haven't had to take off my case yet... The only time I think I would need to do it is if I wanted to change out the battery or send in my mbp for service. It would be nice to have a more easily accessible battery on the bottom for those long plane rides.

4. antmay thread starter macrumors newbie

marks47, wassabie,
    Thanks for your kind reviews/replies to my post.

I'm pretty much sold on the techshell rubberized hard case.

Have a nice labor weekends.

Anthony

5. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

sort of an old thread. but i thought i would add to it. (sorry for the scattered thoughts/comments, just typed as i thought of things)

i purchased a speck shell/case and returned it because the front right corner would not stay on well at all. it was nice, but i did not like the patterns they molded in to the plastic.

i returned it and ordered the techshell rubberized (black) and am much more pleased. it is thicker, and sturdier. The quality is not 100% up to my standards... but it is better than the speck shell.

The rubberized coating is awesome. i feel more secure when carrying it around (grip) and when sitting on my lap it does not slide around at all.

The techshell is thicker and does add more noticeable weight to my mbp than the speck case, but because of this it feels much more protective.

The rubber feet on the techshell are garbage. they are just stuck to the bottom (in round grooves) with adhesive. The speck had feet that were molded in to the bottom. One of the feet fell off of the techshell within the first 2 days of use so i removed the other 3. I plan on trying to find some good replacement feet that use 3m adhesive... because 3m just cant be beat.

the upper case of the techshell seemed almost a little too snug at first, but after working with it a bit, it seems to fit quite well. still.. seems slightly too tight, maybe it will break in after a couple of removals.

overall the techshell is my favorite it really adds more protection, and a better to my mbp