all ready to pull the trigger on a 24" iMac but...

roland.g

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
6,778
1,992
I have been waiting to buy a 24" iMac for the last few weeks now. A friend can get me a discount (a bit better than EDU) and considering I am loading it up, I can't pass it up.

24" iMac 2.33 2GB RAM 500GB HDD 7600GT BT KB & MM Applecare. Savings off retail = $475 after tax.

He finally called me to order it the other day and had a problem and had to call me back and I still haven't heard from him. I'm chomping at the bit to get a new machine as my G4 is 6 1/2 yrs old and my wife's 12" PB has a full HDD and no superdrive either.

At this point I am wondering how much longer I can wait. My dad wants to replace his 17" PB with something he can hook up to his 42" tv. I told him a Mini with a BT KB & MM. He's really in no hurry to get it, doesn't do all that much on it anyway. Also I have a real nice LaCie 19" CRT for my G4.

Do I just get the Mini now, use it till March-April and then buy an iMac with Santa Rosa or whatever, more for Leopard and iLife '07 (save $200 there) and then give the Mini to dad, or hold out hope that I can order that iMac in the next week?
 

minnesotamacman

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2006
113
0
I would pull the trigger on the 24" now, and then love the savings enough to not worry about spending the $200 extra on Leopard and iLife 07'. That is a good price on the 24" if it is legit...
 

fivetoadsloth

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
1,035
0
if you are in no need for something as poerful as an imac yet this sounds like an excellent idea.
 

roland.g

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
6,778
1,992
I want the power of the iMac, plan on doing a lot of iMovie, Toast, eventually FCE. I wouldn't even consider the Mini if it wasn't going to go to dad. Wouldn't want to deal with selling it. I guess I am just bummed this guy hasn't come through for me yet, even though I know he's doing me a favor. Ultimately I would love a headless Mac, power of an iMac with a 23" ACD and 2HDD bays, but when the 24" came out, I decided on that. Sure loading everything from my G4 on the mini only for 6 months is a pain then to load it on the iMac later, but I really need something new soon.
 

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
4,398
3
Call him up and ask tell you're not putting any pressure on him or anything, just want to know if he's going to be able to order the iMac, as you might need one sooner than expected and wouldn't want to go buy one if he was able to get you one.
 

jjmaximum

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2004
94
0
Gainesville, FL
His savings are $475 off retail. I am quite sure if he could buy that machine for $475, he wouldn't be asking for opinions on what to do...


miles01110 said:
Uh, if you can get a 24' iMac for $475 then you should buy 4 and resell 3 of them on eBay. You'll make literally about $2500 minimum.

$475 is a great deal, don't pass it up.
 

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
1,614
0
Chinatown NYC
Good luck getting the iMac! Hope your friend calls you back...

If you can get the iMac, definitely get it. The 24" is gorgeous, and if I was in the market for a desktop that's the one I would get, with or without a discount. The mini is a nifty little machine, but that 24" iMac is a monster. Maybe the best desktop ever made.
 

roland.g

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
6,778
1,992
ITASOR said:
Call him up and ask tell you're not putting any pressure on him or anything, just want to know if he's going to be able to order the iMac, as you might need one sooner than expected and wouldn't want to go buy one if he was able to get you one.
Called him a few times already and he did call me to order it but then couldn't. At this point I don't want to pester him. If he can do it, I guess I'll hear from him, if not I'll make a decision this weekend.

I guess I just figure that in buying Leopard and iLife '07 in the spring, that's almost $200. Getting the Mini now would mean that the iMac I get would have those. All that said, if I can order the iMac this week I will.

I was going to get a new machine by July, then they pushed back WWDC, then Core 2 Duos took a while. I talked to my friend the week the 24" was announced and he said no problem. It took a month for him to call me, and now he has me waiting still.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.