All running processes - which are useful/unuseful

Discussion in 'macOS' started by XPcentric, Jul 26, 2010.

1. XPcentric macrumors 6502

switching from windows, the easiers way is to give example the very known guide for windows optimization in which many processes can be disabled in task manager, very easy. How about OSX, is there a guide some un needed processes can be disabled ?

I have attached All running processes, and sincerely not sure all of them need to be running. for examle: qmgr (run by _postfix user), or prl_disp_service, hp event..

List:

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Mac OS X is radically different then Windows when it comes to process handling and loading. There are a very few that can be safely turned off. If you start going through Activity Monitor quitting things you could make your system very unstable and most of the things just reappear within seconds.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Unlike windows that has some services that are running that are not needed, OSX has services that you do need. I'd not worry about how OSX is working, in so much that its quite efficient.

4. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

I agree - OSX runs things you need, leave them be. Note, I have experience with XP as that's what I run at work and on my gaming machine.

The one exception I might grant here is the HP software on the Mac, it's bloatware. If the OP is experiencing some sort of performance issues, I'd look there first. Heck, you generally don't even need to install the HP software, everything is already there as far as drivers go.