All settings reset after about 2 hours

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Nor*Cal, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Nor*Cal macrumors regular

I just got my mac book pro yesterday (my first mac), and soon as i got it I set eerything up. iTunes, firefox, mail, etc. About 2 hours later i close firefox and open it a minute later and its back to the default config. I open up mail and it asks me to configure a mailbox, and I open up itunes and it asks to import music which I already did (and the music that was on my computer is even gone!). The same thing has happened about three times so far in the past 2 days. This computer seems to forget everything about me every 2 hours, can someone please help me :confused:

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

By any chance, did you try to rename your home folder? That doesn't work out so well and can cause the kind of problems you describe.

See here about how to get things back (if renaming is what happened), and here for how to make a change if you really want to.

3. Nor*Cal thread starter macrumors regular

wow you're exactly right, I didn't know doing this would have such a consequence. Thank you so much!

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Glad to see that that everything worked out! It seems to be a rite of passage for new OS X users :) As those articles mention, the Finder used to keep that from happening. Why they changed it and didn't keep even as much as a dialog saying "you know, that might not be such a great idea" is a mystery.

5. Nor*Cal thread starter macrumors regular

haha yea, I learned my lesson