All songs disappeared...What happened?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by I'mAMac, Mar 14, 2012.

1. I'mAMac macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

Recently I discovered that my entire iPhone library was just deleted and I have no idea why. When I plug it into my MacBook the file names show up but cannot be played because they can't be located. Right now there are 31 songs left on my phone. So my question is what would cause this? Never had this happen before so not sure what to do about it.

(I would just restore it but my hard drive died so I lost most of it but I'll have most of it back when OWC feels like shipping me a new one >.<)

2. TheAppleSource macrumors regular

TheAppleSource

Do you use iTunes Match?

If not, it sounds like it could be some sort of corruption. When you connect your iPhone to iTunes, does it show the iPhone as having any audio files on it?

3. I'mAMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

No I don't use itunes Match and yes it shows every single file there, but I can play none of them and the little exclamation point pops up next to it when I try to. Apparently I need to locate the files but they don't seem to be anywhere.

4. TheAppleSource macrumors regular

TheAppleSource

When you say it shows every single file there, where is "there"? On your PC when you go into the iPhone's directory?

Typically the exclamation mark means that the file cannot be found. So the link is there, but it's linked to nothing. Unfortunately that probably means that, for now at least, you're stuck until your new drive arrives and you can restore.

I'll look into it a bit more to see if you can get it working again sooner.

5. I'mAMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

Sorry for not specifying earlier. 'There' means just showing up in iTunes when I plug the phone in. I'd figured that the files couldn't be located because I've had a couple of songs do this before, but never an entire library.

6. I'mAMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

So this gets worse now...I tried just syncing my iPhone with another itunes library (another computer of mine) and the exact same thing happened. Its only ~350 songs but none of them can be played through itunes (same scenario as before) and they do not even show up on the iphone itself. Is it a problem with the phone?? I fear a restore may be the only option.