All sorts of problems with my MBP including 3 dead batteries. Replacement computer?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by juststranded, Oct 11, 2008.

1. juststranded macrumors regular

Ever since I got my MBP in November of 2006 I've had all sorts of problems, and I'm getting pretty annoyed.

I've had the following repaired:

• Display hinge just went slack and would fall closed. Tightened.
    • Optical drive stopped working. Replaced.
    • Bad CPU. Replaced.
    • Case separating at seams and wrist aluminum rubbing off. New inside case.
    • Bad Keyboard. Replaced.
    • Battery replaced twice.
    ----
    • Power adapter bad. Replaced.

In addition this it what's wrong with it now:

• New CPU makes a horrible GRINDING sound occasionally upon waking from sleep.
    • LCD backlight flickers/flashes at lower setting.
    • LCD backlight totally uneven with huge stripes, but only sometimes (seems to be when I'm working on a design of some sort when it's most annoying)
    • 3 or 4 dead pixels
    • Display hinge is starting to loosen again. It flops a good inch and a half if I move the computer quickly or hit a bump on a train etc.
    • Current (3rd) battery is now at 3800mAh at 23 cycles and takes 16+ hours to charge to "full" and can't hold a charge in sleep mode.
    • Time Machine just flat out doesn't work. I tried two or three different drives.
    • Noticeably slow. With minimal strain on the computer, it occasionally can't handle simple things like switching tabs, scrolling, changing a setting, or switching apps etc. without freezing for over a minute or being very jumpy.

I almost want to ask if I can just get a new computer. If anything just because this would be my FOURTH battery. It's obviously something wrong with the computer, not the batteries. Do you think it'd be possible to get a replacement?

Thanks for your help.

2. Kaupa macrumors regular

Wow,
    thats alot and even more trouble than I have with my MBP, which I will send back and get my money back for!
    If it a productive machime you have to work with you should have asked long before to get it replaced!
    If you have still warranty Apple shouldnt complain and give you a new machine.
    Ask if you can hold the old machine until you get the new one to sync your data!

Here is my list:
    1. MBP Febr. 08 dead on arrive
    2. MBP April 08

- monitor replaced
    - left fan replaced
    - logicboard (including CPU and GPU) replaced
    - topcase replaced

last week I got it back from the topcase replacement and they somehow made my keyboard not working (10 keys without any function). The touchpad is not even in the topcase, it sticks out. Besides the topcase does not fit exactly so I can lift it up and bend it down on the left side for around 2mm. The service provider also detected a bad battery (what i did before, but the hotline didnt want to change)....
    Thats enough and I will get my money back:(

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If you have a handed Apple your laptop for repair this many times, they'll have it on record, and when they look up your record, they'll see it. Ask them if they can give you a replacement. Do it ASAP.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^^^ I agree. Why wait any longer? They'll have enough stock of the models to get you a replacement. You won't see a new model if it is released on 10/14.

5. juststranded thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks to everyone who replied.

jessica, I don't quite understand. What do you mean I won't see a new model if it's released on the 14th? Should I called tomorrow? (I always do it through mail. No Apple store nearby).

6. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

If I were you I would wait and maybe you could get a new MBP. Maybe when the new ones ship. Thats what I would try. And if they give you a Penryn, and you dont want it, dont open it and sell it on eBay and buy a new one.

7. juststranded thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. If they give me a brand new one, I'll either keep it and be REALLY happy, or sell it and get one that better suites my needs. Just depends what the specs are on the new ones. I just don't understand why Jessica was saying to do it right away.

Money is tight too, so that would really help out!

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just because they release the new ones, doesn't mean they'll give you the latest model. If they have the current model still in stock, they may just give you that.

9. juststranded thread starter macrumors regular

Right, so it makes more sense to wait at least until after the 14th (or whenever they are actually released) when it's more likely that the stock will full of the new models. Right?

10. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

wow…i thought i had a bad one that needed 3 replacement batteries and a replacement power adapter…:eek: