All tabs closing in safari without warning when closing a window...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jumbb, Jul 10, 2011.

1. jumbb macrumors regular

Hi! This started happening about two weeks ago, but every time there's a window in safari with many tabs and I click the close button it doesn't ask me if I'm sure i want to close it, like it did before...any clues why?
    Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

Have you checked Safari > Preferences > Tabs > Confirm before closing multiple tabs or windows?

3. skvinson macrumors newbie

I just downloaded Lion. Prior to that, I had a warning appear when I attempted to close multiple tabs. Now I don't, AND there is nothing on the Preferences >> Tabs box to enable it. Any help??

4. AlbertoQL macrumors newbie

Yeah same issue here, I actually like the warning. :mad:

5. CK1Czar macrumors member

I believe it doesn't do it in Lion because of Resume. If you reopen Lion, all of your tabs should open back up

6. pooryou macrumors 65816

Not if you closed the window before quitting Safari.

7. lapis macrumors newbie

Exactly. It's extremely frustrating that they got rid of the warning option. Does no one at Apple close windows? Exiting out of Safari is the only way "resume" works -- it's still very, very easy to accidentally close a window with multiple tabs... and then they are gone.

8. lapis macrumors newbie

Found a solution

From a helpful review on IDG:

>>>

9. cloud.rider macrumors newbie

I work in SalesForce all day, and there are times when I type a long email message in it, then want to switch to another application to copy something. I miss CMD+TAB and accidentally hit CMD+Q which is right next to it. Now Safari just quits without asking, and even though relaunching it will bring back all my tabs, all the message I have typed and not sent yet is now lost. I can see why Apple thinks that that warning is not necessary, but I do not understand why they have removed the option to turn the warning back completely. I did loose a lot of work several times ever since I am on Lion.

10. macrlz9 macrumors 6502

macrlz9

I'm desperately waiting for a Safari extension to come out to enable a prompt when closing multiple tabs or windows!

11. breeze macrumors newbie

in leu of warning after closing tabs, do this:

If you inadvertently close a browser window and it's tabs, you can easily recover it by choosing Reopen Last Closed Window from the History menu.

12. 2stepbay macrumors newbie

Dude...read the thread. Your suggestion has been said a number of times.

13. donelson macrumors member

But you still have to restart, and any scrolling or video times etc are lost. Ugh.

Need a Terminal command to set flags (which must be there) to get Warning back.

14. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

There's a great extension called Lazarus that saves anything you type in any field. So whether your browser crashes or you close it by mistake, it will recover whatever you typed but didn't submit yet.

It's available for all browsers. It's saved me time and aggravation a number of times.

15. donelson macrumors member

No good:
    1 it does not stop hassle of quit and time for many pages reload and restart
    2 it does not restore page scroll positions
    3 it does not restore e.g. JavaScript internal pages or overlays
    4 it does not restore video playback positin

Etc etc