Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rafalski24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2009
Denver, CO
Just got the new uMBP can see the specs below, and hate having all the ports on one side. I do Audio/Video and photo work, and usually have a second monitor, a chain of FW800 drives, speakers, and a USB hub plugged in, and its crowded. In fact I pretty much can't use one of the USB plugs (luckily I usually use a hub anyway) and its tough to fit a FW plug and MDP plug in at the same time. I am going to have to get a MDP to MDP extension from monoprice, to alleviate this, which is a purchase I really shouldn't be doing... Anyone else feel the same way, or have any suggestions to help ease the crowding?

by the way I am using a monoprice.com MDP to DVI cable (the MDP plug is much bigger than I was expecting!)

jedivulcan

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
The older MBPs were a little bit more diversified (USB ports on both sides). I don't miss it though.

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
Although it is annoying on a desk, I have the Late '07 MacBook Pro, and having the DVD drive on the front is annoying to eject if you are using it on your lap.

shambo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2009
What's with the moaning? Buy a Dell next time if you're so unhappy. And research your purchases BEFORE you buy next time.

m85476585

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
I don't like the ports on either side. All the wires sticking out clutter up my desk, and it makes the space hard to use for anything else. At least all the ports on the left make it a little easier to use a mouse on the right for anyone who is right handed.

wesg

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2008
Toronto, ON
I like having the ports on one side, though sometimes stupid USB drives block adjacent ports. On another note, I'm happy Apple has moved the lock slot to the CD side. I always put my MacBook/Pro in my back on the port side, and it was always annoying to include a lock.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

yes definately its irritating but also whats irritating is that there are only two USB ports. I really wish that they had a third USB port either on the left side or the front. I have an Asus laptop which has USB ports on 3 sides (4 of them) plus a mini firewire port and a bunch of other ports. Granted its nowhere as slim, light or small as the umbp so I can't complain too much but definately one more USB port would be better

EndlessMac

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2009
I like all the ports on the left side because when I'm at a desk I like using a mouse. I've had problems with other laptops when using a mouse on the right side when there are ports in use.

Also as someone mentioned above, there is less clutter when all the ports are on one side in general in one area. When the ports are on both sides and spread out it takes up a lot of width on the desk which makes the laptop take up more space than its size should take. I know that's not a problem for everyone but I do like the current locations of ports.

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
I find it annoying too. I can't use my iMac's mighty mouse on my MBP cause the cord is too short. If there were USB ports on the right side I could also get better reception from my VX Nano.

I honestly just wish they would just make a MBP without a CD drive as an option. IMO I think this is likely for the next MBP case redesign with an external drive as an option ala MBA.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I absolutely love the ports on one side. Having them on both sides just looks fugly....

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Personally I hated that they moved the ports from the right side to the left side. MY office was all set up but now that the ports are on the opposite side, I had to move everything around.

SolRayz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
Ft. Lauderdale
I find it annoying too. I can't use my iMac's mighty mouse on my MBP cause the cord is too short. If there were USB ports on the right side I could also get better reception from my VX Nano.

I honestly just wish they would just make a MBP without a CD drive as an option. IMO I think this is likely for the next MBP case redesign with an external drive as an option ala MBA.

You could fork over cash for an cine display with more usb ports. :D

home_hero20091109.png

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
I don't see how this is an actual issue. If you don't like it, why'd you buy it? Obviously it wasn't a big enough deal to convince you to look elsewhere, so stop complaining.
Well if you want a Mac, you really don't have much choice. I don't think port placement is going to be a make or break deal when choosing between a Mac or a PC notebook. I personally don't care for having all the ports on the left side either. I would like at least 1 USB port on the right so as a right handed person, I can use a wired mouse without having to loose cord length draped around the back of the machine. Either way, I sure don't miss having them all on the back!

EndlessMac

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2009
I can't use my iMac's mighty mouse on my MBP cause the cord is too short.
You can get a USB cord extender. Apple usually includes one because they seem to like short cords on the their devices but they at least understand that some people need longer cords.

Well if you want a Mac, you really don't have much choice. I don't think port placement is going to be a make or break deal when choosing between a Mac or a PC notebook.
Exactly. If you want a Mac then it really is a take it or leave it problem and I personally would rather not go back to PCs. That has always been one of the downsides of Macs. We don't get as much variety in options as we can from the PC world.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
You can get a USB cord extender. Apple usually includes one because they seem to like short cords on the their devices but they at least understand that some people need longer cords.

Exactly. If you want a Mac then it really is a take it or leave it problem and I personally would rather not go back to PCs. That has always been one of the downsides of Macs. We don't get as much variety in options as we can from the PC world.

They like short cords because that mouse was intended for the iMac. You don't need an uber long cable when it's less than 1 foot from mouse to iMac. Granted, if you wanted to use the mouse outside of the iMac world, it would be too short. Most manufacturers still make long cords for mice because many people are still using traditional computers (i.e. cpu box) and not AIOs.

EndlessMac

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2009
They like short cords because that mouse was intended for the iMac. You don't need an uber long cable when it's less than 1 foot from mouse to iMac.
The Mighty Mouse that came with my Mac tower was rather short and needed an extender. Another example is that Apple's laptop power cords aren't that long unless you attach the extender cord. Apple's new Magic Mouse is wireless so I think the clues seem to indicate that Apple doesn't really like all the clutter that comes from lots of tangling long wires.

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
https://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=8904006

The picture shows that it can get messy. All uMBPs share the same problem, not sure why Apple doesn't offer a single cable docking solution.

Not sure if the macbook was right for them, or they should get better cable management.

I have a MBP on a notebook cooler and have a firewire & usb hub underneath and everything looks neat and tidy and its perfect to have it on one side, makes sense to me atleast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.