All these cameras...which one? Canon GL1, HV10, HV20, Sony VX2000 or HC7?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jayeskreezy, May 7, 2007.

1. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

Which one has the better picture quality? That's the one I really want. I want something $1000 or less that looks crisp and clear even when compressed.

I'd like to get whichever has the best overall look too. Any advice? I guess it's an hd vs. 3ccd battle

2. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

3. bkvideography macrumors member

get an hdv camera; 3ccd sd won't matter when in 5 years you watch it on a 50" plasma and have to stretch it 3 times to fit the screen.

4. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

thanks but i was looking for more personal opinions and pros and cons of hd vs. 3ccd

5. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

What exactly do you intend to do with this camera? That would be good to know.

6. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

I shoot videos and stuff for personal use, but also for my job....more like promo vids...we're a non-profit Christian campus ministry....just looking to make small promos to put on dvd and stuff, but dont want anything too grainy

7. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

You may also want to check out newsgroups, either with a Usenet newsreader client or just using Google Groups. Look for newsgroups under the rec.video.* hierarchy (rec.video, rec.video.production, rec.video.desktop) and try searching for those models as your keywords. Guarantee you hours of reading of personal opinions.

CC4C?

8. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

thanks for the help and yes.... CC4C :D

can you only shoot hd with this or will it also play on a standard def tv?

9. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

I'd say the VX2000 produces a very nice picture without having to be a genius. And it doesn't get too grainy in low light situations.

10. the vj macrumors 6502a

Agreed

I have the VX2100 and the VX2000 has better color.

I had the chance to test different cameras before getting mine. The GL1 looks fancy but is complicated and is very expensive. The HV10 or HV20 I have no idea.

But my first concern was crispy color and specially good under low light condition. For low light condition Sony is the best, some one told me is even better than the HD in that aspect. Very friendly to use and loyal.

I would go for the VX2000 if it fits you. Remember always use the same kind of video tape. That will takecare of the heads.

11. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Yeah, I have a VX2000 and it's served me well (despite me being only a hobbyist, wannabe video editor :) I wanted the best, even though I really didn't need it and probably couldn't really afford it). Last year I took it to a wedding reception, in a large hall in very dim lighting. The thing could literally see better than I could. The picture the camera was picking up (everything in automatic mode) was brighter than the ambient light in the room, picking up more details than my own eyes could discern, with no (or little) noticable grain. Other folks were putting away their camcorders cause all they saw was blackness or shadows...!

12. JJsBlackMacbook macrumors newbie

i am in the same situation, lookin for a video camera with HD, now Sony makes some sweet HD cameras, I will love the hard drive ones, but ive read they are not compatible with macs. Any advices?

13. makkystyle macrumors regular

I would buy the Canon HV20. While I am not a fan of the HDV format in general, but it is really the only viable HD option for you. As opposed to the VX2000 (which is already 2-years old), the HV20 is brand-spankin-new and should workout well for you for many years to come, as well as allowing you to be (relatively) on the cutting edge of video production with it's full-res 1080p CMOS chip.

HDV is a finicky beast due to the constant computations the camera's processor must do to compress the information that the HD chipset is trying to squeeze onto a legacy format (miniDV tape). Some might argue with that legacy format comment, but I think you will find over the next couple of years EVERYTHING will switch to flash-based storage media. But, I digress. Just remember that because of this compression, you need to adjust how you operate the camera: keep pans slow and smooth; when you can, stay away from reds and whites (i.e. in planning wardrobe choices or locations to film in), etc. There are numerous articles on cinematography forums about how best to utilize this format.

As someone mentioned earlier always use the same tape stock... buy large quantities at a time so you always have some on hand. Sony makes great media. Stay far away from Panasonic tapes, as they use a powder-based lubricant and if you have used any other brands... powder+liquid=gunk on your heads. DO NOT EVER leave tapes in the transport. People may say this is hogwash, but I have seen ruined cameras because of this. It has to do with the fact that the mechanicals are stretching the tape across the head, this creates tension and thus wear and tear. Be diligent about using a head cleaner tape. Again, use the same brand regularly and clean the heads every 5 hours of recording or so and you will be very happy man. The tapes are not that expensive and you can use one many times before buying another. Get a good carrying case and USE IT.

In the end you will have a really great camera with a lot of bonus features (3Mp still photography, analog to digital converter i.e. use the camera as a bridge to capture VHS recordings you may have already, fantastic Canon sensor, 24p mode, and all the technical knowhow that goes into Canon's more prosumer equipment) that will not be obsolete any time soon.

14. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

so the other question is can you play this hd footage on a non-hd tv...a standard one?

15. makkystyle macrumors regular

It depends on your editing process. If you are using iMovie, then just export to iDVD (not sure the exact name of the command, but there is a specific setting that creates a selfcontained video file that you can open in iDVD then iDVD will do the MPEG2 encode readying it for burning to DVD). If you are using FCP, use compressor to export the MPEG2 of your movie then bring the file into DVD Studio Pro.

16. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Couple notes.

The VX2000 is well more than two years old. I bought mine 3-4 years ago and even then it was a well established camera, almost an industry leader. However, in some cases "tried and true" works out to be better than "latest and greatest", which is why I think the VX lasted so long in a world where Sony kept on putting out smaller, fancier, cheaper camcorders every year (just look at the evolution of the rest of their miniDV and Digital8 line). Don't mess with a good thing, y'know? :)

I was never sure about the tape branding issue, having read both sides of the story on the rec.video newsgroups. However, after saving up thousands on a camera, I didn't want to take a risk so I've been using all Sony tapes. Last year a videographer borrowed my VX and ran 2 Panasonic tapes in it (I didn't find out till later) but it does not seem to have done anything bad. That particular videographer has not reported any problems with mixing tape brands in his own cameras (VX2000 and TRV900, another Sony classic).

17. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

I think you have that a bit backwards. What it is, is wet lube tapes vs. dry lube tapes. You want to use the Panasonic dry lubed because wet lubricants can cause drop outs. If he ran a pany tape through your cam, it was more likely to mess up his tape now that you've run so many wet lube sony tapes through it, than it would be to mess up the cam heads.