Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dschiller

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2007
Hi all!

I really wanna buy one of the new iMacs, but I'm a bit scared of buying it with a glossy screen. I am NOT a pro user, and I don't really care about color accuracy, etc, and if the glossy screen enhances seeing pictures or watching movies with its greater crispness and contrast, I find that a good thing.

I wasn't worried at all about it, but then I decided to take a look at Apple Discussions to see what people were saying about it and there are a lot of posts saying that the glossy screen is bad even for non-pro users, one poster even claiming that after just 15 minutes of working with a glossy screen your eyes start to hurt.

As I said I'm not interested in color accuracy, but I want my display to be usable (I spend many hours in front of the computer). Will the glare be so bad I'm not gonna be able to use it?

I made a quick sketch of how it would be positioned in my bedroom:

roomsketchzj4.jpg

(the display would be facing the chair - and the window, which can be partially or totally covered with the curtains, but I wouldn't like to have to do that)

I could of course position it where my current PC is, but I'd rather not do it, for I'd never be able to see its back (which I think looks great). I could of course wait for the possible option of a matte screen by Apple, but I've already been waiting for so long for this computer to be released that I really don't want to..

Sorry if I wrote too much:eek:

Cheers
Daniel

P.S.: Before it is suggested I do so, I can't go see a new iMac on display, because there aren't any stores that displays Macs in my country.

grafikat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2003
Your best bet would just be to go to an Apple Store. Tell them you want to test the mac with different lighting (in the store!). It's the only way to be certain.

addz

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2007
ya, the window light could be a problem. What is stopping you from using the other side of your desk and face the window?

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I think that where your current computer is should be ok, I'm not sure about it facing the window, if you don't mind the possibility of putting it where your current PC is get it try it out for a bit where you are wanting it and see how it works and the worst that happens is that you have to move it back to where you currently have your computer.

dschiller

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2007
Your best bet would just be to go to an Apple Store. Tell them you want to test the mac with different lighting (in the store!). It's the only way to be certain.

I'd love to be able to do so, but as I said there are no Apple Stores in my country.

ya, the window light could be a problem. What is stopping you from using the other side of your desk and face the window?

I'd be with my back turned to the door, and I wouldn't like that. Besides, my sound system is on the shelve, and I wouldn't be able to control it from the other side of the table.

BTW, this is the thread that made me scared of the glossy display.

Thanks for the input and please keep the posts coming!

dschiller

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2007
I think that where your current computer is should be ok, I'm not sure about it facing the window, if you don't mind the possibility of putting it where your current PC is get it try it out for a bit where you are wanting it and see how it works and the worst that happens is that you have to move it back to where you currently have your computer.

That might be the best solution, but I'm not sure the 24 incher I'm currently wanting to buy will fit where my current PC is (17 inch monitor). I'm gonna check on the dimensions of the new iMac and see if that's a possibility. Watch this space :p

EDIT: It would fit. Now I'm worried if the location of the main light source of my room would be a problem. It's on the ceiling right above the chair on the sketch, and it's of the incandescent (yellowish) kind. Would it be a problem?

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
The photos that you may have seen online illustrating this problem pretty much tell the story. It is a significant problem in my opinion.

soosy

macrumors regular
May 6, 2002
I think it really comes down to personal preference. Some people aren't bothered by it, others are. I'm a graphic designer and I think saying glossy screens don't give "accurate color" is hogwash. I got a good look at the new iMacs today and frankly the screen is a big draw to me. I was considering a 17" Macbook Pro or even a Mac Pro & Cinema Display but the iMac Display looks really good. One disclaimer, I haven't actually worked with a glossy display yet so maybe I would have problems, but from what I can see after a 1/2 hour in the store, it's a non-issue.

One idea: Hold up a piece of glass or even a mirror to test the reflections the iMac might get. I bet even a slight angle would let you avoid reflecting the window behind. Also at the online apple store you can return opened computers with a 10% restocking fee... check that it's the same in your country though.

Good Luck!

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
Get the iMac and don't worry about the glare. You can always get blinds or a good shade for that window if it's a big problem.

erandall38

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2007
I do not have any glare issues with my celling light. The closer it is to your computer the better because you will have less of an angle to see it at. Honestly I have no problems with glare, people who complain about it and do not have one are ignorant. You can not judge a picture over the internet and say it has to much glare, that is just ridiculous. I know it is really hard for you to just go and see one, although that is the best way, I have no problems and I actually OWN one, unlike most people on this board who complain about it.
Put it this way, the pictures on the internet show much worse glare than I have ever experienced on mine, and even the pictures I posted on the internet has much worse glare than they are in person.

wpwj40e

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
I had a chance to play yet again with the 24" alumiMac in the Apple store. (Been there 3 times now - last time with hubby) We got a chance to move it around. I would NOT place it so that a window is directly facing it like in your diagram. The reflections would be pretty bad. We tried almost that same eact configuration in the store and it untenable. The overhead lights in the store actually were not too bad.Onlt the ones that abgles it such a way to directly catch the monitor. If you slightly changed the position of the monitor so that it did not catch and then it was fine.

Hubby (who is a pro type user) liked the screen and felt that for light pro work and most amateur work - the monitor would be fine. He gets bugged about glare and this screen was fine as long as you did not have a window directly behind it. The monitor placed off to the side - was fine. Similar to where your location was of your original PC/monitor.

SO a few more thoughts to add to the mix...

Therese

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I have a MacBook, and the glossy screen has never bothered me – people who say it will bother everyone aren't telling the truth. ;) I also have a matte screen (external monitor) and I can tell that some things *look* more contrasted on the MacBook's screen than on the external, but overall it wasn't a huge deal to me on which monitor I was using.

headhammer

macrumors regular
May 15, 2007
got my 24" today, and fell in love with the screen instantly. my plasma tv has more gloss than the imac, because the backlight in the screen of the imac is quite good. when the screen is off or dimmed, the reflections are obvious, but otherwise it's no hassle at all.

full screen movies, photos, and slideshows are just stunning.

don't be afraid ;)

dschiller

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2007
Thanks for all the replies! Feel better about the glossy screen now, gonna order it as soon as possible :D

Cheers
Daniel

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.