Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Noelmel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2009
i wish they would come up with some new text plans. I would never use 1500...but 200 just isnt enough! Thats a huge jump. They need one in between like 500 or 750. Insted of all these new data plan changes they should have added some new text plans!

tac22

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
i wish they would come up with some new text plans. I would never use 1500...but 200 just isnt enough! Thats a huge jump. They need one in between like 500 or 750. Insted of all these new data plan changes they should have added some new text plans!

While at the very lease an upgrade with a 500 or 750 text option would be nice. Ever since we started paying for data, texting charges have become bs. There just data, and extremely small amounts of data. so as a smart phone user who requires a data plan the future really is to include texting in the data charges and get rid of the texting charges.

Hellishness

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2010
Bay Area, CA

I agree. Also, 20 freaking bucks for unlimited is waaaay too much. isn't it like 5 bucks on other carriers/plans?? I'll be getting the 1500 when i get my iphone 4g, and at this point, I'm really not sure if I'll use them all, but I'll definitely use more than 200...

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I agree. Also, 20 freaking bucks for unlimited is waaaay too much. isn't it like 5 bucks on other carriers/plans??

It looks like unlimited text for Verizon is also $20.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    19.1 KB · Views: 653

Noelmel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2009
yah i had tried calling to add one of those codes on here for 750 for $7.50 and the lady told me it was a scam lol. But while on the phone I asked her why they didnt have any plans in between 200 and 1500 and she said they were "working on that and should hopefully have new plans soon" yah right

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Cause AT&T knows the majority of their users text between 200-800

they are forcing u to the higher 1500 text plan.

Same thing with those who only sign up for 200 text those users only text less than 75 per month.

AT&T did those txt plans purely on reason they will make money.

Notice how the data plan jumps from 200mb to 2gb but there's no 500mb data plan? Cause they know most iPhone users consume 150-400mb a month. Therfore forcing the majority of those users to the $25 data 2GB plan they probably don't need

spyda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2009
I can only hope that a GV app on iPhone see's the light of day, but probably not.

magpie maniac

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2007
I'm one of those people who thinks the world owes me everything. I want a new iPhone every summer with unlimited voice, text, and data for $4.99 per month. It's just not fair. ;)

Dear, lord, people. Exchange your phone for Dixie cups and yarn and forget the whole thing. No one's forcing you to ***** use it.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
What does AT&T being greedy have to do with people having gripes about it?

It IS unfair. It IS greedy, and it IS wrong. It doesn't mean people shouldn't post their dislike about it.

If you're paying $25 for 2GB of data, text messages ARE sent data. INSANELY small kb's of data. You're paying twice, for the same thing. Always have been, except now it's limited.

But as a previous poster said...their cash cow is text message plans. It'll never be included in data again as it once was.

magpie maniac

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2007

It IS unfair. It IS greedy, and it IS wrong. It doesn't mean people shouldn't post their dislike about it.

If you're paying $25 for 2GB of data, text messages ARE sent data. INSANELY small kb's of data. You're paying twice, for the same thing. Always have been, except now it's limited.

But as a previous poster said...their cash cow is text message plans. It'll never be included in data again as it once was.

Fine. Then get a regular dumbphone and stop using MacRumors for group therapy. Every damn thread is a "Whaaa! The world's not fair" gripe session.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Expect to see new and improved texting plans:

100 for 3.00
225 for 6.00
750 for 12.00
1000 for 16.00
and unlimited for 24.99

This will undoubtedly save 98% of customers more on our services offered; while at the same time giving our users plenty of more options. BTW, hardly anyone uses texting according to the AT&T data analysis.

i-John

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2008
The Republic of Texas

You're right. How dare AT&T charge people for their services.

MACis122

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2010
I had the 1500 text plan and went over. I didn't realize that it meant incoming text as well thats bogus

Darkfox3889

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2010
yeah, unfortunately $20/mo unlimited is the going industry rate.
In addition, millions of their less tech-savy customers are perfectly willing to fork over that rate without question.

On a more technical note, I think SMS actually is different from regular data. SMS actually uses voice circuits to transmit the small packets of data rather than the true data connection.

tuna

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2010
yeah, unfortunately $20/mo unlimited is the going industry rate.
In addition, millions of their less tech-savy customers are perfectly willing to fork over that rate without question.

On a more technical note, I think SMS actually is different from regular data. SMS actually uses voice circuits to transmit the small packets of data rather than the true data connection.

$20 at the 2 largest carriers AT&T and Verizon, ~$10/month at Sprint and T-Mobile.

Cell plan rates will come down over time for the same services, as they always have. I think it would be particularly interesting to see how AT&T and Verizon would compete over lucrative smartphone subscribers if Verizon offered the iPhone...

If I remember correctly, it was not too long ago at AT&T and/or Verizon that (1) all smartphone data plans were $45/month, (2) unlimited text plans for individuals were $30/month or possibly not offered, (3) unlimited talk plans were $99.99/month.

Hell, remembering back a few years farther, it used to be that not all plans included the ability to make calls from anywhere in the country... damn regional packages...

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
You're right. How dare AT&T charge people for their services.

What part of my post did you not grasp? I don't care about paying for data services, I care about paying TWICE for the SAME data services. And, almost more than every other carrier there is.

ESPECIALLY when they once included text and data in the same iPhone data plan. Remember? Then they got greedy and broke it up, to make millions, probably billions more in profit.

Verizon offers a 5,000 text message plan. AT&T caps it at 1,500 before it makes you pay for unlimited. Why? Because they know 5,000 is more than enough for almost every customer they have, and 1,500 isn't.

I'm not complaining about my bill, but with a high data package now not even being unlimited, they really should drop the txt message plans to at least $15 for unlimited, not $20.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.