Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
That was exactly my point. So when the above poster says someone can run out to a grocery store and buy a cheap charger I'm not sure that's the best idea.
No, better of course to get a known name brand via Amazon or whatever in two days.

The point was the ubiquity of the power adapter / format and that nobody should find themselves in a bind and unable to charge their phone.

That said, IMHO the infrequency of reports of blown up phones or adapters relative to how commonplace the cheap knockoffs are suggests the issue is not nearly the risk it's presented to be.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
It is just pure greed by Apple, not for environmental reasons. If it was, Apple would have made the iPhone cheaper as a compensation.

So it is about more profit in the end rather than the “environment”.

How do you know the iphone 12 wouldn’t have been more expensive with the charging brick included (and the higher shipping costs involved from transporting bulkier boxes)?

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
How do you know the iphone 12 wouldn’t have been more expensive with the charging brick included (and the higher shipping costs involved from transporting bulkier boxes)?
It could have been but it’s also risky. I think £799 for the 12 is just about pushing the boundaries for what the market can take. Apple want as many people upgrading as possible and as the phones go up in price, the amount upgrading drops. The mid tier market is Apples most important sector as it services the vast majority of their user base. They may be able to stretch it at the Pro end but increasing costs in the mid tier to bring it closer to that £1k mark is something Apple are aware is risky IMO.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
No, better of course to get a known name brand via Amazon or whatever in two days.

The point was the ubiquity of the power adapter / format and that nobody should find themselves in a bind and unable to charge their phone.

That said, IMHO the infrequency of reports of blown up phones or adapters relative to how commonplace the cheap knockoffs are suggests the issue is not nearly the risk it's presented to be.
I think it depends how cheap. I got a bag of cheap no name cables from eBay one time. They didn’t charge more than 1amp and actually melted the plastic insulation and almost caught fire. That was the last time I bought super cheap no name stuff on eBay. Lol.

Usually now I’ll try to go with a name brand - ravpower or Anker etc.

You’re definitely right.

Reactions: deeddawg

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I think it depends how cheap. I got a bag of cheap no name cables from eBay one time. They didn’t charge more than 1amp and actually melted the plastic insulation and almost caught fire. That was the last time I bought super cheap no name stuff on eBay. Lol.

Usually now I’ll try to go with a name brand - ravpower or Anker etc.

You’re definitely right.
Yep. I think it depends also on how traceable to the seller the parts are. Presumably a corporate buyer for Publix or Target etc is likely to be more selective (due to lawsuit/liability concerns) than some random guy at a fleamarket table or no-name ebay seller that's gone in two weeks.

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.