All these posts scared me...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by killerwhack, Jan 10, 2008.

1. killerwhack macrumors regular

killerwhack

Just ordered the Speck Products 'See Thru' shell for my MBP. Seeing all these stories about dents and scratches convinced me to bite the bullet and fork over the bucks with the intention of avoiding an ugly misshap.

2. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

3. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

IMO you just purchased an ugly mishap. It's like putting a bra on your sports car: I'd rather have the stone chips than the fugly bra. Just me, though. Enjoy your MBP either way.

4. LeftoverCrack macrumors member

i agree. they look nasty on that beautiful machine.

5. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Just say no to permanent product condoms. Buy an incase sleeve or something.

6. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

I have one and I really like it. It has saved me from a couple of dents and especially in this first year of having it, I am going to keep in on. What color did you get? I have the aqua one and I love it.

I can understand people being against it, but since I take mine to school, I don't want the bottom of it to get sticky and gross from the desks.

Just my two cents.

7. sal macrumors 6502

"permanent product condoms" lol, That's exactly what they are.

I got my first dent on my MBP about a month ago. I was pretty mad especially since it wasn't my fault. But I am not sure if I want those speck cases on my computer. For one thing they are pricey and look a little off.

The clear one looks okay.

I also don't like the idea of the MBP being covered up like that all the time.

8. Swagfndr macrumors newbie

Have the smoked one and Love it.

I have the smoked colored speck case and I really like it. I have my external drive (250 gigs of iTunes) velcro'd onto the back and put stickers on it (something I would never have done without the case).
    I travel over 100,000 miles a year and about 200+ days per year so I will take the extra protection anyway I can get it.

9. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

if dust and stuff get between the mac and the hard case, wouldn't that get the mac scratched by friction anyway?? (like it does on ipods with silicon cases) just curious.

10. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Yep, you're right. I have a speck case and it scratched my MBP! :mad:

11. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

not all the time, but a good amount of the time if you treat your mac right you will have no such dents and scraps. Of course things out of our control can mess things up.

12. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

oh

Oh the irony...people love the design and aluminum body of the MBP, and pay a premium for the most beautiful laptop design around. Then made it substantially bigger and uglier...and coated in plastic (when you pay so much for the aluminum). :confused: I suppose if you're a frequent traveller it will pay off, but it just seems like a shame imho.

13. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

14. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Speck see through cases are to be polite are rubbish, they my spar you a dent but you will still have scratches from dirt and dust that gets between the case. My lovely MBP developed them, thus I have gone back to a sleeve. The scratches went al he way through the coating.

15. killerwhack thread starter macrumors regular

killerwhack

Go the Speck case today.

Clips on rather easily. They warn you to clean the mac before placing the case on. I got the red see thru.

16. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Well, if I had to get one, that's the color I'd get. Bet it looks good.

17. Don.Key macrumors regular

I do not know...

This is individual thing, but I think you should use units, not pray upon them. And using means damaging.

Nice sleeve for lugging the MBP is good idea (Just watch that no sand gets in hehe) but permanent shell is an overkill.

Some may argue that the mint condition improves resale value but I think it is nowhere as dramatic as some claim and does not justifies the troubles.

18. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I've had these types of cases for phones and my iPod in the past, and to be honest they're a waste of time. If you're lucky enough for the dirt and dust to not scratch your MBP, it'll just look ugly with that stuff under the shell (if it's a see thru one).

When I bought my powerbook G4, I just purchased a brand new aluminium casing for it (cost £50 for the botton and £40 for the top), and it made it like new again.

Certainly better in the long run that a case that ruins the whole point of having a sexy aluminium laptop

19. khunxhor macrumors member

I've had my mb for about 3-4 weeks now and I read pretty much every post about bags/shells/cases on this forum before I settled on the WaterField sleeve. Their customer service was great and their product even better! I got the very simple sleeve without the flap/strap/whatever and it has such a snug fit! It is very soft on the inside, doesnt look too bulky, but feels very sturdy. I take it to class often and it fits perfectly in my book bag.

A lot of people here posted that if you took the time to take the casing off every now and then to clean it and your mb, you would prevent all scratches....but cmon....who has that kind of time?!? I certainly dont!:)....the last thing I need is something else to worry about. I needed something to just slip my laptop into and run to the nxt place I need to be....and thats what I got...

Plus, my shiny white mb is way too pretty to slap one of things on it...:p

here are some pics

http://www.sfbags.com/index.htm

Attached Files:

20. fatima109 macrumors newbie

I can't get my Speck case off!

I can't get the top part of my hard platic Speck case off. I contacted the company and they said to use a fingernail and credit card. I did that. Still so tight it won't budge.

I am EXTREMELY frustrated. Anyone else having/had this issue? Any solutions?

I'm also a girl who has contacted the company about two non-fitting cases and is finally being promised one that fits. What a terribly-made case. I am prone to drops and dents so I see the case as necessary with such a fragile machine, but what to do when Speck has no quality control?

21. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I don't understand this pathological desire to shrinkwrap a laptop. You'd think people were renting these computers instead of buying them.

22. fatima109 macrumors newbie

I didn't "shrinkwrap" my Dell and it didn't get a ding. MBPro's are made from freaking aluminum and will dent and bend easily. In fact, mine already has. I travel a lot. Thus the pathology.

23. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Rather than a shell, I'd recommend a full-body shield from invisibleShield. Those things are tough!

24. Alicia Olatuja macrumors newbie

The Sims Complete Collection Expansion Pack

Hello. I am a new Mac leopard owner. I just bought the Sims Complete Collection and must say I am a bit confused. The only sims game I have ever played was the Sims Life Stories on my old pc which was choppy and slow. The complete collection ran smoothly on my mac but could somebody answer this question: IS THE SIMS COMPLETE COLLECTION SUPPOSE TO BE AS ANCIENT AS IT APPEARS ON MY SCREEN? IS IS SUPPOSE TO LOOK SO OUTDATED? I know the sims life stories is their newest addition but why is the complete collection so ancient looking? Are all the games in the collection that old looking? HELP. I feel cheated. I bought the game expecting more up to date technology.

25. Sannekita macrumors regular

Sannekita

you might want to start a new thread about this question. in this topic, nobody'll answer it.