All things being equal...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bolo4u, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Bolo4u macrumors member

Ok, here goes. I am very new to the Mac world (except an iPhone 3GS), and am seriously concidering migrating from a PC (laptop/desktop) to a Macbook Pro. I have read the buyers guides, and searched around this site, but still have a purchasing question. On the Apple site, there are two 15" MBP for sale and at the same price ($1529.00). They generally have the same specs except the processor/speed and graphics chipset. That being said, which would be the one to purchase?

Here are the specs:

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    15.4-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
    4GB memory
    320GB Hard Drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    SD card slot
    Built-in 7-hour battery
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 256MB
    Illuminated keyboard

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core i5
    15.4-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display (1440 x 900 pixel)
    4GB (2 x 2GB) of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    320GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm
    8x double-layer SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M graphics processor with 256MB of GDDR3 memory

Thanks in advance for any input and assistance.

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

You listed everything except for the prices for each one. If price is the same then the 2.4Ghz Core i5 model is a no brainer. Automatic switchable graphics and hyperthreading to 4 cores and longer battery life.

3. Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

The second one, being a newer machine and having the i5 chip, will perform a lot better than the 2.66GHz C2D (my sister owns a 15" just like the one you described). The clock speed is lower but the technology in it will cover that up. Trust me.

4. Bolo4u thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

Thanks for the input and suggestions. I added the price to the original post.:rolleyes:

5. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Now that you've added that they are the same price, hands down, the Core i5 model. Don't see why Apple would charge the same for both when the Core 2 Duo is a significantly slower CPU but the rest of the 2 machines nearly match each other.

6. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

7. TrojanX macrumors member

TrojanX

I have read, most especially on this forum, that the I5 has had some mild issues and the same along with the transitional graphics but, this being a refurbished models you will most likely be getting a very stable and bug free model. I5 all the way is my bet. Today I purchased my very first mac and decided to go with the one in my signature because I would have more money for various things and accessories. If you are getting the 15" refurb, go for the I5 but, if you are set on the C2D save your money and get the 13" with virtually the same specs for a lot lower (as long as you can handle the screen)