Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

therapistfinder

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
I'm aware of the "imminent" updates that are going to come but frankly, I'm also sick and tired of waiting. That being said, I just found out today that it's possible to get a brand new current generation MBP for around $1500 online without having to pay any sales tax. I heard that the new MBPs may get a price cut, but the question is, is it going to be that big of a difference?

Lets say they reduce the price of a new MBP to around $1800 or so. That means a student like me could conceivably get one for around $1600 + tax (if they maintain the student discount). Assuming that all of this is true, I would conceivably be able to get the new one for about 250 dollars more (+undetermined amount of wait time). Do you guys think that this is actually worth it?

I'm also aware of the nVidia fiasco, the screen problems, etc, etc, etc. I'm planning on getting applecare so I'm not too worried about it. Even if something fails spectacularly, I wouldn't mind too much if it had to go to their repair shop for a few days. I'm just wondering if you guys think the new features are worth waiting and paying more for if you were in my current situation.

EDIT: In retrospect, I realize that this may have turned into one of those "buy now or wait" threads that you all love so much. Please keep the flaming to a minimum : )

azharc

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2008
For a brand new current gen, $1500 is a great deal. Take it.

I second that. And since you said you're getting AppleCare, you have nothing to worry about.

I had a similar decision to make 2 months ago when college was about to start. At that time rumors pointed to an early September release of the new MBPs. Never happened. Just go with the current one, it's an awesome machine and it'll make you happy :)

Also pray that the new ones have severe defects so you can mock your friends who waited ;)

therapistfinder

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Well, in case anyone is wondering, I pulled the trigger. It was off of ebay by the way. Hope the link works:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...270284411456&_sacat=See-All-Categories&_fvi=1

The price was $1685 (Pretty sure there's no tax...:confused:) and with the 20% Microsoft rebate ($200 max) the total comes out to a figure just shy of $1500 :D. I'm relatively confident that this isn't a scam since I checked his feedback and he has consistently dealt in MBPs over the past month or so.

If anyone here changes their mind, there's still 1 left :) (It's glossy, but I saw some similar prices for matte ones too)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.