All Things D: iPhone 5 Announcement at Apple Auditorium

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jay42, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Jay42, Sep 25, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2011

Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

EDIT: please refer to the MacRumors thread to consolidate.

All Things D mentioned that it has received word that Apple will be unveiling the iPhone 5 at its own town hall auditorium instead of a larger venue such as the Yerba Buena Center in San Francisco.

Apple Insider has picked up the story.

[​IMG]

To me, this doen't bode well for a highly redesigned iPhone 5. I know that Apple has launched significant products from the auditorium, but I just can't see them announcing anything more than an iPhone 4S there.

Thoughts?

2. AlexanderTT macrumors member

AlexanderTT

I don't care where they hold it, I just want the announcement

3. Krandor macrumors 6502

Seriously? We are analyzing the size of the auditorium to determine the size of the announcement?

How about this explanation - This will be Tim Cook's first launch as CEO so it might be less pressure on him to do it in a smaller auditorium then a larger venue.

4. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

I just want the event to appear :cool:, it doesn't matter about the venue.

5. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

Maybe it's so they can control the WiFi usage this time, unlike WWDC last year where they had the somewhat embarrassing mishap where Jobs had to ask the press to stop using the WiFi because it was hampering the demonstration.

6. Nevadadrifter macrumors newbie

I don't see the location of the keynote reflecting the exact (5 vs 4S) product being launched.

What I do see, is a very dynamic, shifting date for launch, which led to an inability to secure the typical Yerba Buena location. Not knowing the exact launch date makes it a little tough to secure a venue. Whereas if the event is held in Cupertino, Apple can make the announcement when they're damn good and ready.

Something is definitely up over Apple. Something is causing a delay. Bad screens on the (rumored) bigger iPhone 5 screen? iOS 5? who knows... Let the theories and speculation begin!

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

This is definitely the most reasonable explanation. I really think something isn't working right myself or it would've already been out or at the very lease announced.

8. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Hopefully the smaller venue and limited invites will mean Apple will also stream the keynote live. That would be awesome!

9. CWT1965 macrumors 6502

As I said in the other thread I think that this means it more likely Steve will be doing the keynote

A smaller venue means a smaller stage for Steve with his health problems to have to walk around on and also holding it in house means Steve just has to leave his office and he is at the venue, less tiring for him than being transported all about town to a bigger venue

10. shandyman Suspended

no delay, they've changed the product cycle so it now releases with the iPod Touch, since when they upgrade the iPhone, the new Touch is relatively simlilar spec. Simple as that. No delays due to false rumours of technical problems. it's been pretty much said since Jan/Feb that the new iPhone wasn't going to be launched in the summer like it has previously.

11. Jay42 thread starter macrumors 65816

Jay42

12. iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

I'd put my money on iCloud issues / stress testing. Just think, 50 million people (random guess) upgrading the 500 meg (another random guess) download to iOS 5 then those same 50 million people all getting access to apples servers with 5 gig of space ... If Apple could screw up the MobileMe intro with significantly less users, just think how iCloud could bring them to their knees if they're not ready.

13. Krandor macrumors 6502

You have to set up icloud before it will start being used and all 50 million are not going to do that on day 1.

However, I do expect that part of the delay is making sure iCloud is working properly. That is going to be a huge selling point for Apple over Android - the ability to automatically keep a phone and pad in sync can make the overall experience so much better.

14. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Saying that the auditorium size doesn't bode well for the iPhone 5 is ludicrous.

15. marcfogel macrumors regular

marcfogel

I am hoping the delay is for LTE.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.852457,-74.999084

16. Mr.C macrumors 601

17. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Yep. Right tool for the job. If you have nothing to say... don't say it (or say it softly).

This reeks of an iP5 letdown.

Cook needs coddled like a 4 year old? Will there be hecklers there? :eek:

You guys crack me up. :D

18. Jay42 thread starter macrumors 65816

Jay42

To be honest, considering the hype surrounding this announcement, I really don't think it is.

I hear at least 1 story a week on iPhone 5 rumors on my local news channel. When is the last time the public was this interested in any tech story, never mind an Apple rumor.

Apple knows the hype around this announcement. Something tells me that if they were planning on announcing something big, they wouldn't do it at their auditorium. Then again, they're not going to have any shortage of press coverage, so maybe they don't care about the size of the venue.

19. aztooh macrumors 6502a

This is just as speculative as those saying there is a "delay". Apple will probably never say the reason for the ....different than their normal... release timeframe, so we'll most likely really never know. And can you show some info from January that said to not expect a June/July iPhone release?

20. batting1000 macrumors 604

To be fair, he did announce the Verizon iPhone 4 with Verizon.

21. o0jelly0o macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hahah just so all of you know the Oct. 4th date is a rumor, which means the location of the event is a rumor on a rumor...it's getting ridiculous.

22. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

We in the Macrumors community are enthusiasts. It SEEMS huge to us, because we follow the rumors. If you ask a random person on the street about iPhone 5 rumors, my best bet is they won't know a single thing. This is no bigger than any other iPhone event. It just seems that way to US because we don't really have much to go off of, therefore making the suspense insane. Plus, iPhone events were always held during WWDC, in which the Moscone West center was always a must, because people weren't there for the KEYNOTE, they were there for the workshops.

This is the first major iPhone announcement not in the summer, so there is no history to go upon.

So it can only hold 1000 people instead of 2 or 3 thousand. Big whoop. So Apple will no invite their employees and ONLY media members. It's not that big of a deal. People are overanalyzing EVERYTHING.

23. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Man, are you Apple's spokesperson or something? Give it up man. Your little rants about people using the 'delay' word has become so tiresome that I must welcome you to my ignore list.

24. shandyman, Sep 25, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2011

shandyman Suspended

wow, that was contributing to the thread. glad i'm going on your ignore list as you have no logic, common sense and just insult people like in the other thread.... I'm not ranting, I'm sharing a valid and logic point on it. You're the one ranting! I'm no apple fanboy before you try to imply it. For starters I have a windows desktop and laptop and have done for years and will not change it. Also when apple does stuff wrong I'm there complaining. Like iTunes. It's the worst thing apple have done, needs rebuilding from scratch as it's totally bloated, so slow and crashes too much. They should allow us to ditch or hide stock apps. This forum has gotten ridiculous with people crying delay when its just common sense that they've changed the cycle. The proof will be next year when no new iPhone comes out next June.

I was just posting something that's obvious and logical, instead of the the madness of people claiming delay due to this problem or that problem, which is unfounded and doesn't make sense. If it's a delay due to a technical problem, how come we knew back in january/february that it was going to come out somewhere in Fall? there were a few threads and i think even an article on Macrumors back in Jan/Feb about it. I've not got the time to go searching back thru the archives of the forum to find it as i don't have the time to go searching.

25. marcfogel macrumors regular

marcfogel