Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SirStrumalot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
... would you still have switched over to Lion? Still haven't? I haven't switched yet because I can't afford to have a buggy system at the moment and it seems like there's still a few bugs to be ironed out.

Did you switch over and have no problems at all?

alexbates

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Georgia, USA
I updated only to find that ~/Library/Application Support/minecraft was missing. Didn't think to back that up before updating. And I get the spinning beach ball a lot more often than I did in Snow Leopard. Other than that, everything is great!

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
Having very little problems, but I suspect I'm getting less battery life on my MBP than before. All said and done, yeah, I'm pleased with the upgrade.

lukekarts

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2009
No.

But, I didn't upgrade to Lion in the way most will have, I bought a new MacBook Air and sold by old MacBook, which forced me to go from Snow Leopard to Lion.

Lion is inferior to SL IMO. Launchpad is the most counter-intuitive and buggy OS overlay I've seen, effectively adding another layer to the install/uninstall process, which sometimes inexplicably won't work. The App Store drives me insane with it's new-found slowness, and for a couple of weeks I encountered a bug where I could not download or update any apps.... the solution - re-install Lion. Plus a few other issues, bugs etc.

And damnit what a horrible experience that was. Downloading Lion on a 1MB connection with a download limit was not a pleasant experience, in the end I had to leave my Air downloading overnight before the damn startup tone woke me up at 5am in the middle of the install!

So, in hindsight, very happy with my MBA purchase, but I would have been so much happier with Snow Leopard.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
switched and probably still would have switched knowing what i do now

quite a few of the new features I am not to struck on, but I have enabled them now and trying to run the Lion way

takes a bit of getting used to, but getting there

no usability bugs for me,

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
Apples done a pretty good job with lion. But give it a little time till they have all the bugs out, then decide. Issues are to be expected this early in it's short life. There's far too many new features to be perfect this soon. Apple will get it sorted out and all will be well.

Benbikeman

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
London, England
Switched right away based on reports of those using the developer version.

There are a few glitches, but love Launchpad (my dock now just has currently-running apps), and Resume is fantastic. Overall, knowing what I know now of the experience, I'd still have made the switch.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
I upgraded all my laptops (2 x Macbook Pro, 1 x Macbook) without any issues. And to be honest. I don't want to go back mainly because of Mail.app which I use and really like. All the rest is not that much different. I turned off most of the new Lion stuff if I could.

What I dislike most is the new iCal look.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I'm loving Lion - it's really quite stable for me. There are a few issues that I hope Apple sort:

1. Hiding an application doesn't put it to the end of the application switcher (CMD+TAB list), so if you CMD+TAB a lot, and hide applications a lot, this will really interrupt your fork flow.

2. 4 finger swipes left/right to switch between applications only work in full screen. Used to bring up the application switcher before (and 3rd party hacks to enable this don't work properly, such as 4 finger swipe then 4 finger tap to select that application).

3. iCal no longer shows a mini month calendar on the left hand side.

4. There's a lot of lag when the login window first appears - if I click my account, it won't display the password box right away, sometimes taking a few seconds or so.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I updated only to find that ~/Library/Application Support/minecraft was missing. Didn't think to back that up before updating. And I get the spinning beach ball a lot more often than I did in Snow Leopard. Other than that, everything is great!
It's still there, just hidden.

That said, Lion has been extremely stable for me, and I would still upgrade. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.