All this Dedicated card talk

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hoolig4n, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Hoolig4n macrumors newbie

First off, if you expected the 13 inch RMBP to have a dedicated card you are delusional or just haven't done any research. Also, if you need a dedicated card to do anything you would probably benefit from the extra screen provided by the 15 inch model. People hyping these products to be something they are not is getting ridiculous. If you want to play games apple has a variety of models including desktops and notebooks that will run any game perfectly fine under BOOTCAMP. I am an avid gamer who plays Guild Wars 2, XCOM Enemy Unknown, DoTA 2, Dishonored etc. all at 1900x1200 resolution with 40+ frames w/ my 15" RMBP.

PS- IMO the new iMac lineup price/spec ratio is insane. They are gradually catering to gamers and the fact that a 13" macbook release doesn't cater to gamer/editor crowd isn't horrible because with the amount of gaming and editing that I do I wouldn't want that small of a display. Just my rant sorry, I'm so tired of people shooting down product releases because they don't get their dream spec in a tiny machine.

2. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you, but
    A lot of people would like to game on the go, or at spontaneous LAN parties with friends, or their hobby/job dictates being able to edit on the go. Plethora of reasons why a dedicated GPU would benefit them. Just because you couldn't see yourself gaming or editing on a 'small display' doesn't mean others couldn't (nor that others wouldn't prefer it).

3. Hoolig4n thread starter macrumors newbie

WTF u mean its like less than 2 pounds heavier. The 15 is easily portable for on-the-go situations. I agree some of it is my personal preference but I mean come on people.

4. ggabriele3 macrumors member

I'm surprised that Apple hasn't pushed gaming, especially when this is such a great time to do so - consoles are stale, and no new models have been announced. Windows 8 is widely reported to be potentially bad for gaming.

HDMI out + wireless controller on a MBP = portable console. I do this with my rMBP and boot camp. it's great. but it requires windows.

the appleTV was a "hobby". okay, how about another hobby:
    make an official apple gamepad.
    refresh the Mac Pro with some gamer-friendly options (i7, nvidia GTX).
    so-called hardcore build-your-own gamers will say the same things they always say about macs, but people will buy them.

make gaming on the mac more accessible, and they'll gain gamers in market share.

5. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

People are angry at the lack of a dGPU which rivals have had in their machines for years and the obscene cost.

I think people are entitled to show some frustration when Apple fails to deliver what is expected of a machine that costs well over £1500.

6. ggabriele3 macrumors member

just note, people on forums are frustrated.
    but apple sells millions of these. I would guess that the vast majority of people who are buying a 13'' laptop would not even notice the difference. nice thin computer, very pretty screen. games? i'm sure it plays everything on the Mac App store just fine. So why spend the R&D to develop the different mobo?

7. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

When all is said and done, I am still tempted with the 13" rMBP. I can get rid of my MBA and Vaio Z which will fund at least 60% of the cost...

8. neteng101 macrumors 65816

The problem with the 15 inch is not weight. Its "footprint" ie. you need more desk space/etc for it. This is where the 13 inch excels. I did think integrated graphics were going to be a given, but the price tag didn't get adjusted accordingly. The 15" rMBP is looking to be a MUCH better value!

P/S - Just curious what resolution you're running in Windows for those games at those FPS levels?

9. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I agree with the OP. But the 13" rMBP is insane, literally, its mad at its customers. So much so that its a rip off.

10. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Try doing much of anything on a HD 4000 at 2560x1440 other than running your computer (google it. Test results are dire). Getting anything close to 30FPS may be real tough. I don't know of course as I have not seen a 13" retina but no dGPU is weak sauce for such a high resolution (and price).

11. stevelam macrumors 65816

'people' are not angry. the few gamers out there who would actually consider buying a 13" macbook to try and game are angry. and those are few and far between.

12. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

It's not "just" the gamers. I am talking general use 30FPS. I can't imagine Apple shipping something that just plain sucks in performance department but I don't want a 1600-1900 Mac to already be on the verge of not getting the job done. Imagine 2 OS releases from now. Total suck.

13. pandamonia macrumors 6502a

It doesnt matter what you think.

People want a dGPU and at that price they should get one

14. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

Hell Yeah!

15. Quash macrumors regular

Good luck with that, the world is moving to integrated cpu/gpu more every new generation. AMD doesn't even make new low end(low power) mobile dedicated graphics anymore. Remember sound cards almost no one uses those anymore only professionals. Dedicated GPU's will go the same way.

16. pandamonia macrumors 6502a

Rubbish.

Integrated GPU are about 10 years away from being as good as a high end dGPU is today.

50% gains on poor performance is still 50% more of nothing.

Games and other graphic intensive programs are getting more power demanding every day.

17. ggabriele3 macrumors member

let me say that I agree, now that I own a laptop with a discrete GPU that can actually be a decent gaming machine, this is what I want.

also, i 100% agree that thinness is not everything. I hate that HDTVs have moved towards inferior edge-lit displays, but it's because THIN is sexy and easier to market.

you have to wonder why they didn't give it to people, though. It would require differently designed chassis, potentially thicker case, maybe even a higher price.

so once you fix the "POSSIBLE", you have to move on to the practical considerations. there is a large segment of the market - probably the majority - who do not care. they just want the thinnest, lightest computer. For apple products, the high price isnt being weighed against specs. It's the hot computer. that's as far as the discussion goes.

If Apple were to offer a desktop, it might be no big deal to offer a range of GPU choices. but they aren't, and probably won't...because nobody is buying configurable Alienware or Dell towers.

Look at apple's desktop offerings - things that could easily house larger, more powerful components. the iMac and the Mac Mini could be a bit longer, a bit wider...but no, they're marketed for their compact design. Look how big a deal Schiller made about the thinness of the edge (JUST THE EDGE!) of the iMac. Who cares how thin the edge is?

Apparently, people do. I disagree with it strongly, but they do.

18. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Who said anything about gamers? I didn't. The lack of a dGPU is nothing short of a massive cock up.

19. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

You can connect a Playstation Controller via bluetooth in just a minute or two and use it, so there's not really a need to have an Apple-branded controller. But even if Apple was to start targeting the gamer market, it's still not going to matter until more games are available on the platform. Without titles such as Skyrim, GuildWars 2, etc available for OSX, you're not going to get a lot of gamers when all of those games and more run just fine on a Windows machine.

20. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

The gpu didn't dissuade my decision to purchase the 13" rMBP. It was the tiny 128gb storage and 8gb max RAM.

I would have picked up the new rMBP if it had at least a 256gb drive and an option for 16gb.

21. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

FYI.. Gw2 currently has an OS X client. Runs great in my 2012 13" MBP.

22. cirus macrumors 6502a

Um how about no for the imac's, at least for the 21.5 inch and the low end 27 inch (high end 27 inch is fine). Yay it has a 640m 650m or a 660m but it only has 512 MB vram, which is a problem. Nvidia does not sell the 650 and 660m with less than 1 GB so this is obviously apple's doing. I mean seriously, a 660m with only 512 MB vram on a 1400p screen. yeah, like that is going to go well. Shading heavy games or vram hungry games are going to choke so hard.

23. nostylez macrumors member

eGPU, enough said.
    Who plays hardcore games on the go??
    Seriously?
    Just set up an eGPU through thunderbolt that's probably better than any gaming laptop available.

24. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

My research indicates that Apple's first ultraportable laptop, the 12" PowerBook G4, had a dedicated graphics card, the Nvidia GoForce 5200
    :rolleyes:

25. ggabriele3 macrumors member

you gotta remember, it's not what you can do...it's what everyone can do that drives their decisions. there may not be an absolute need for things like an apple branded controller, but many people would need/prefer a first party thing with real plug and play drivers.

and, apple can draw developers if it delivers users.