All this talk about new MBP, Montevina, blah blah

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dmo580, Jul 17, 2008.

1. dmo580 macrumors member

Montevina is out and as much as we all want a new MBP revision, honestly I think it'll be a silent change. Apple just went to throw in Penryns in their latest revision and that was 5 months ago. It doesn't make business sense to just jump onto a whole new redesign.

With that said, putting Montevina on is not too hard, and I wouldn't be surprised if new MBPs rolled out in a few weeks/months with Montevina, but to me it would be a SMALL/SILENT change meaning it's quiet and not a big thing just like when the Penryns rolled out.

Nehalem is the big shift. You're moving towards IMC and a lot of new features, and it's not an easy change. DDR3, etc etc will all be implemented, and I suspect Apple will then redesign the MBP.

It just doesn't make sense to do a redesign NOW for Montevina and then because of the huge amount of changes that come with Nehalem then have to adapt to more changes in 7 -8 months.

Now, there are rumors and leaked photos, and after looking at those I have doubts, but if you use logic and business sense, Montevina is not going to be a huge revolution. It's an evolutionary stage in the MBP, and if you want one, you might as well get one now.

That's the reasoning I used to buy my MBP. Honestly, I have Penryn, and that's not gonna be a night and day difference with the new chipset even if its a 1066mhz FSB based one. Do you think Apple will also bump up DDR frequencies? Maybe, maybe not, but why would they jump to DDR2800 with the new chipset? It means new supplies and a lot more work for them for such a short haul revision.

So as much as the "I'm waiting for the next MBP" customers want a nice Montevina MBP refresh, I honestly don't think it's going to be a huge thing. Well maybe it's the "I-just-got-an-MBP-a-month-ago-and-I-better-not-get-shafted-because-the-next-release-is-gonna-blow-me-away-and-totally outdate-my-MBP-and-I-should've-just-WAITED-another-month" syndrome that's getting to me.

2. Mangaroo macrumors regular

i didnt think this really needed a new thread...but, basically most people don't know exactly what to expect, but there have been rumours that it will add some features that people are hoping for. So for those who are able to wait, they gamble not having a macbook pro for a relatively short period of time in hope they get those features, bearing in mind it's an expensive purchase for a lot of people...they wait. Was it worth the wait, they'll find out.

Other people regretting their recent purchase shouldn't really bother you, but i know its ***** annoying when it makes you doubt your own decision to buy and i guess these sorts of posts help relieve some stress. These people probably just wanted the latest and best (better) and didn't really need the laptop now so they come here for reassurance/support and advice.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Agreed! There have already been dozens of threads on these speculations. The bottom line is, NO ONE knows what Apple is going to do next, or when. It's all guesswork. IMHO, it's a waste of time to keep posting threads on this beat-to-death subject! When it happens, it happens!

4. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

a redesign makes sense for a new chipset. It also makes sense for the end of the back to school crowd.

5. marvel2 macrumors 6502

I read up to this point, which made me realize you are trying to convince yourself you made the right purchase decision. Whatever helps you feel better.

6. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i was thinking "and, what's the point?" till i read your mail and that explained everything. embarrassing that i didn't get it by myself though......:eek:

7. schmidt190 macrumors member

im pretty sure montevina supports DDR3

8. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

wowzers, I'm thankful I'm not going to feel like you're going to feel in a little over a month. Good luck, stay strong, and remember just cause it's a better machine and looks different with a whole lot of new technology doesn't mean you made a bad decision...

9. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl