Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
You would think by now that Steve would have tried aluminum (the color, not the material). The first iPhone looked great, even with that rather unsightly black bottom to it.

If anything, he could have made the whole thing steel on the band and aluminum or silver paint on the front and back, and I think it would have been great. No bleeding, no coloring issues.

Speaking of other colors, the iPod nano line was always colorful, why couldn't the iPhone be, too? I know it's more expensive, but really, it's all about the front face, since the back is easily replaceable, and they could have made 50% of all production of iPhone 4's black, and the remaining 50% could have been divvied up between red, blue, green, yellow, and aluminum.

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled program...

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
colourful phones are stupid and it's not going to happen.

no matter how they're executed, they'll always look dumb.

gdjsnyder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Swoyersville, PA
Speaking of other colors, the iPod nano line was always colorful, why couldn't the iPhone be, too? I know it's more expensive, but really, it's all about the front face, since the back is easily replaceable, and they could have made 50% of all production of iPhone 4's black, and the remaining 50% could have been divvied up between red, blue, green, yellow, and aluminum.

Apple should really try to make a white iPhone 4 first. When they can accomplish that task, then they can think about colors.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
White is the hardest color to produce for any product.

Black, you can get away with almost reaching that color (really deep blue or brown can look black enough).

To top it off, we're talking Apple here. They have a certain level of standards and quality that hasn't even been considered by the likes of HTC, Motorola, or RIM.

RedburnIV

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
Pennsylvania
I like the way that Aluminum back looks, but that site doesn't provide a place to get one?? Also, I couldn't care less about the white. It doesn't really do anything for me, and niether would more colors to choose. Ill stick with the black.

ajohnson253

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
Yeah we've moved on. I honestly think multiple color choices for phones usually looks tacky.

JASApplications

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2010
Scarborough, United Kingdom
You would think by now that Steve would have tried aluminum (the color, not the material). The first iPhone looked great, even with that rather unsightly black bottom to it.

If anything, he could have made the whole thing steel on the band and aluminum or silver paint on the front and back, and I think it would have been great. No bleeding, no coloring issues.

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled program...
Does it really matter what colour the bloody phone is? You probably gonna put a case on anyway so you won't see the colour of the phone anyway.

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
We've moved on... right?

Not with a CONvincing MAN like Steve Jobs.

He's got his followers in the palm of his hand, hanging on his every word.

Just look at what happens when he responds to an email sent by the "little people" as he himself called them.

You've got to hand it to the guy, he's got his game perfected, very impressive.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
Apple should just jack up the price of the white iPhone and subsequently lower the price of the black. That way the people who feel the need to be "different" regardless of their own personal tastes can over-pay (hey, they spent buku on the kits) and the rest of us can have a plain ol' black iPhone cheaper. :D

Lol, actually what prompted that was another discussion with someone in RL. They were talking about how much they wanted the white iPhone. I said, "Yeah I guess but I prefer black, I think it looks sleeker". "Well I like black better too but everyone has a black one, I wanna be different."

Doesn't anyone wanna just have what they like and enjoy it for themselves anymore? I painted my case on my computer black and red, the most overused combination ever (actually mostly black with red accents). So what, I like it :eek:

/highhorse

On-Topic: It's actually odd, I mean Apple invented the Computer-in-rainbow-colors with the iMac, I would think they would continue to have different colors. Translucent would be awesome too (so you could see the insides). But I think right now Apple is focusing on keeping costs down and getting iOS devices in everyones homes. Apple paid $1 Billion to developers in the first couple years of the App store, that's just 60% of the revenue, AND Apple doesn't have to spend a dime on the development of that MULTI BILLION DOLLAR software industry! (On the apps I mean, establishing the platform costs money), so yeah, they only care about filling the world with iPhones, not appealing to a particular market. They want the WHOLE market, and black seems to fit that, other colors cost money. What would be cool is a "dealer option" color setup. One where some iPhone were taken off the line unassembled, sent to the Apple stores, and different colored pieces sent there too. Add a hefty fee and an Apple genius will assemble a custom-colored iPhone for you.

I like my black iPhone though, if it came in every color of the rainbow I'd still probably pick black, it's sleek and still looks professional.

-John

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.