All those power meters...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by J the Ninja, Jul 5, 2009.

1. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Anybody have any guesses as to what all those power meters iStat Menus shows are measuring?

My guesses, based on names, the numbers they show, and how they react to different loads:

Battery 0 - The power in and out of the battery. This one is a little obvious

CPU A - CPU core, it would seem. It scales with the CPU load, and the voltages look about right (mine has ~.8v at idle, and about 1.05v under load)

GPU 1 - 9600M GT core. It shows nothing with the 9600 disabled, and it varies with GPU load, even when GPU 2 does not.

GPU 2 - 9600M GT RAM. This one took me ages to figure out (I just came up with this guess tonight, after all this time with the machine). I don't know what else it could be. The voltage shows 1.8v, and while the power seems to vary with load, it seems to only bounch around a few specific levels, like it's just switching power states rather than being directly affected by load.

Battery/Power - Uh....overall power, aka what's actually coming into the system from battery + charger?

Northbridge - I THINK this is the 9400M core, because I don't know what else it could be. It may be some other component on the MCP79 chip, I don't know. It doesn't show a voltage reading, but some math on the current and power readings gives 1.10v

Northbridge 2 - This has got to be the system memory. The voltage seems to be 1.5v, which is what DDR3 is supposed to run at.

______

Anyone else have some ideas of what all these sensors are? I'm just curious. Something I really want to know, is.....do the machines that are sans 9600M lack the two "GPU" readings?

P.S.: If you don't get why someone would care, this thread isn't for you.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. J the Ninja thread starter macrumors 68000

iStat Menus, the "Fans and Power" menu.

Attached Files:

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Now if it was only in the Dashboard widget. I don't like menus. ;_;