All thumbs - Keyboard accuracy worse after 6.1 update?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by davehutch, Feb 14, 2013.

1. davehutch macrumors 6502a

davehutch

Has anybody noticed their keyboard recognition has got worse since 6.1, or have my thumbs just got less accurate?

2. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

I've totally noticed this!! I really don't think that my typing has become that much less accurate, if at all, so I'm convinced it's a software issue.

Also, I've noticed that "ill" gets auto-corrected to "I'll" far less often than it used to, resulting in me having to type it in manually almost every time.

Neither are a big deal but it's annoying to see things take a step backwards.

3. madsci954, Feb 14, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013

madsci954 macrumors 68030

I've had this issue and it does feel like that, but I've noticed it since 6.0. Also have the "I'll-ill" not switching problem that r2shyyou pointed out. That and "were-we're" getting mixed up as well.

Edit: I'm on a 4S that when I originally bought it, it was on iOS 5.1.1

4. stevebubble macrumors member

Mine seems to have got worse too.

Regarding autocorrect for I'll, you may already know but if you type a 3rd L, so illl, it will autocorrect to I'll, which is easier than manually entering it.

5. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Interesting tip and no, I didn't know that so thanks.

Of course, I tried it just now and "ill" auto-corrected to "I'll" correctly every time so I'll have to wait for another opportunity.

6. canucksfan88 macrumors 6502a

canucksfan88

wow...okay so i am not the only one...

i thought my screen protector was getting old

7. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

for me, it got a lot better after ios 5....but after 6.1 it keeps thinking that I'm trying to type the keys on the right of my thumb..

8. NJFP macrumors 6502

Others I have talked to with an iP5 and 6.1 have the same issues! WOW!!! And here all along I thought it was my eyesight going bad! :cool: Hopefully this will be fixed in iOS7................ :rolleyes:

9. Bahroo macrumors 68000

Ehh i dont notice anything different at all to be honest...same as before..i noticed at first when i got my i5 the keyboard was a little off, but i found out that iOS learns your typing habits and puts it in the cache. So no i dont have any problems typing

10. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

I'll agree that the auto correct and general accuracy of the keyboard has been very sub par since 6.0.

Just had an example where i was trying to type the word hurt, and typed "hirt". I would have expected it to auto correct to "hurt", but instead it autocorrected to "Hirt"

Didn't even seem like a word to me, and apparently (according to google) its not a word. Well not in english: Hirt - (German) herd, herdsman.

maybe someone else can try this? it wasn't a fluke either as i can type in "hirt" and it corrects to "Hirt" every time.

And i do also have problems with the ill - I'll issue as well as were - we're and also hell - he'll

I can't really give examples of accuracy, but i do know that i just haven't been getting increasingly worse at typing recently. I've been using an iPhone for almost 4 years now.

11. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Tested and confirmed (see attachment).

And with all due respect to Germans & their language (and all other languages, for that matter), it doesn't make sense to me for an iPhone (or other iOS device) to auto-correct to a word that is foreign to the dictionary in use.

Now, if I was using a German keyboard, then cool, Hirt sounds like a splendid suggestion. But since I'm not, what obvious, non-specialized use could I have for this word?

6.1 quickly turns into 6.1.1 with 6.1.2 right around the corner while devs are testing what may end up being 6.1.3.

Someone ain't doin' there job over there, at least not well...

Attached Files:

12. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

So glad to see more and more posts about the keyboard stuff. Shortcuts don't work properly anymore. Autocorrect is strange now. Like "ill" sometimes autocorrecting and sometimes not. "iphone" sometimes correcting to iPhone and sometimes not. And sometimes the speed required for the double tap on the keyboard for a period-space-capiltalization changes out of nowhere. And now thanks to my OCD I am considering getting a different kind of phone. It may seem a bit ridiculous but typing texts and stuff on my phone is probably what I do the most so when the keyboard is messed up it's really annoying.

13. Prabas macrumors 6502a

Prabas

haha, I've noticed the second I started typing on my iPhone 5. I thought that I was mis-touching or something. I often hit letters that aren't even in the same line. Instead of B I hit space. That was never the case on iPhone 4.

14. scyap macrumors member

This could be your hands not being used to the 4" screen.
    It took me a couple of weeks to get use to the new screen height (and positioning of fingers)

15. lucasfer899 macrumors 6502

lucasfer899

Personally, I'm still on 5.1.1, however when I go onto friends iPhones of which are on iOS6, ( I have iPhone4, they have the same) I can't type properly. It's odd.

16. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

17. ameridansk macrumors newbie

Yes, noticed this too, but didn't really mind/care -- easy to doubt and retype; it wasn't a deal-breaker. However, this latest iOS update that has sent my battery spiraling into a black hole has me pissed off. I'm a share-holding Apple fanboy who screams "GIVE ME MORE!" every time somebody claims Apple is feeding us purple Cool-Aid... so I'm a bit miffed that my champion didn't test their update better. Honestly, how many billions does it take to get software right? And yes, I *do* want it right every time!

18. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

19. LithePanther macrumors 6502

You must never be happy then, because i've never had a piece of software that was "gotten right" xD

20. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

I have this issue, but only with the Iphone 5! The 4S is just fine...

I also find the touch on the iP5 isn't as responsive as previous versions!

21. techbul macrumors newbie

I sometimes get that too, with the keyboard not even recognizing when i hit the spacebar or the backspace button.