all usb ports on the left side?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by oYx, Jan 19, 2009.

1. oYx macrumors regular

i'm just curious. does anybody find it a problem that all the usb ports are on the left side? especially if you use a usb mouse?

2. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Only with the wired mighty mouse. But dont use that anyway.

There is a problem if your USBs are fat and then they dont fit in all at once. But doesnt normally happen.

3. GregE macrumors 6502

4. Mark2000 macrumors regular

Mark2000

If you're right handed and your mouse cord is a normal length it should be a good thing. No plug to stab you when mousing too close to the case. I prefer it.

5. kolax macrumors G3

They are close together - so using a USB flash drive and the other USB port is out of the question (unless you have a thinner USB flash drive). Of course, normal USB cables will be fine.

6. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

7. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

I love that its all on one side now. Its probably my favorite feature of my new Macbook Pro, it makes my desk much neater.

8. UVa.Jester macrumors member

I was trying to use an old USB mouse I had and was having issues with the signal since all the USB ports were on the left... I'm going to pick up a wireless mighty mouse today becasue it was really frustrating me...

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I might want until the 17" has at least 1 usb port on the right to upgrade. I like the mouse cord short.

10. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Its just a case of design over function, if Apple had its way there would be nothing on the right side, it wouldnt be hard for them to make a few usb ports on the left if they wanted too.

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Actually it's due to people constantly complaining.

Original: ports on the back, but it's a pain to plug in and remove anything with the laptop open. some pcs are still with this design.

v2: ports both sides, people complain why ports are not on one side, cables out of both sides are messy for some people

v3: ports on one side (partly due to the unibody thing and also due to stress testing), people will complain more.

I have an alum MBP 17" with USB on both sides. I think that works.

12. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

How does what side a USB port is on have anything to do with the signal, especially for a wired mouse? :confused:

13. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

I personally wish the new 17" unibody had three USB ports on the left and one on the right, that would be perfect for me.

14. UVa.Jester macrumors member

I meant to say an old wireless usb mouse... Oops...!!! Sorry for the confusion...

15. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

I've been using a 12" PowerBook for 4.5 years now and haven't had many issues with both USB ports being on the left side. I always used a SanDisk Cruzer Micro flash drive or USB hub.

16. oYx thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for chipping in.

i was just curious because i have the 17" with one usb port on the right side (with the rest on the left) and i thought it may be quite cumbersome and unsightly to have to run a wired mouse around the unibody one.

i'd love to have a wireless mouse, but i wonder how often i'd be caught with the mouse's battery going flat.

17. Ploki macrumors 68000

so... its wireless. i cant see the problem though. :D if you need it 3 inches from the transmitter than its pretty much wired ;)

i have no problem with USB ports. i drag the cable behind the screen (i have a wired mouse) and if i need to pop in a usb stick i just use an extention cord.its not the best solution, but i cant say i give a damn about it :D

in a way its still better than having everything all over the place.

18. gotzero macrumors 68040