All WP users: Lots of updates today (Go get 'em)

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Lloydbm41, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Looks like the 23rd will be the official rollout date for 8.1 and the Lumia cyan update.

Today, 'Accessories' was changed to 'Device Hub', 'Display' and 'Call+SMS' were updated, Cortana received the new UI layout, and what usually means an update is coming, the 'Extra+Info' received an update.

Attached Files:

2. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Many of those updates have been rolling out over the past two weeks. Good to see the final release from the manufacturers is close though.

Loving 8.1!

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

where are the updates ? store ? phone update?

4. gollum macrumors regular

store

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Nothing popping up new for me.

6. Lloydbm41 thread starter macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Likely rolling out in stages to different areas of the world. Not to worry though. No real changes noted in any of the updates. (Cortana UI gets updated via html5 on Microsoft's servers, so you will see those changes immediately, assuming you have it turned on?)

7. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

These are Nokia specific, right (outside of Cortana update)?

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not seeing any updates yet for my Icon, though I'm not terribly worried.

9. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

kind of off-topic, but don't you ever get annoyed at the abundance of white on black in most apps? The harmony is not bad, but i would be terribly upset at the monochrome layout. Why not add some color to the apps?

10. Lloydbm41 thread starter macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

I prefer the black on white in Windows Phone over say Android for a few reasons:
    1. Easier to see and read in bright sunlight
    2. Easier on the eyes at night and dark rooms
    3. Less power consumption

But it is primarily lists or informational data that is in the black on white scheme. Apps themselves and features like Cortana use the phones scheme color (you choose it) and displays images.

If you contrast this to phones running stock Android, where Google Now cards are primarily all white, I prefer Windows Phone. Stock Android all white cards get annoying to me. I wish we could tone that bright white down or use greys for color instead of white.

11. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

I agree with too much usage of white lately on some parts of iOS/android and some apps, but apps on both platforms like Uniqlo (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.uniqlo.wakeup), Facebook paper (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/paper-stories-from-facebook/id794163692?mt=8), Pocket Casts (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=au.com.shiftyjelly.pocketcasts), Timely (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ch.bitspin.timely) and many more show how developers design interfaces in a creative and unique way. While many apps i see on windows phone seem iterations of same design and the same color scheme over and over.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I like it because of the display technology. Black backgrounds saves my battery :)

13. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Quick question.

Google Now shows all the stocks on my list, Cortana only the first three. How do I get to the others or show them all?

I need to upgrade the Nokia 521, the screen is too small.

14. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

Maybe off topic...sorry. But does anyone have any news of when the Nokia 930 or Icon will be coming to the rest of the US carriers?

15. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

It is supposed to be the same time that 8.1 is rolling out...so in the next couple of weeks.

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I got an email from Amazon saying it'll be released soon. So hopefully not long now.