Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleDior31

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
Went from X to max. I love the bigger screen! This (hopefully) is the phone I’ll keep for awhile.

Nell

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
London
I’m on a 6s and pick up my XS today. I briefly hestitated in an “I could get a laptop for that money” kind of way but realised that my 2012 MacBook Air still works just fine and I use my phone essentially all day, every day so the XS is a better use of my money this year.

I’m so pleased I finally get to have the same camera as the bigger phone. Apple’s belief that people with smaller pockets are less interested in photography has long been a source of bafflement to me.

SRX1900

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2018
I am returning my Xs (I was on an X). Honestly; (aside from significant activation issues with Verizon based on some issues with account verification in the interface) the phone is pretty good and I really liked the gold color. That said, the straw that broke the camel's back was the fact that my leather portfolio case for the X ($99) did not work with the Xs. I am on the apple upgrade program so I knew I would have to pay the full tax on the phone and then continue to pay the same monthly so I convinced myself that was not a big deal. But when I found out that I had to go buy a new $100 case (actually $120 for the new leather portfolio); that was the straw that broke the camels back. The main feature (close to lock and open to unlock) does not work on the Xs with the older case even though the phone fits in the case. I have no idea if this is because of magnet placement (if it is a magnet) or something else but that seems ridiculous to me. Basically I would have to pay almost $200 extra up front to make the upgrade which is not worth it for the incremental upgrade. I agree with everyone who states that the Xs is a good choice for anyone who is upgrading from a 6, 7 or 8 but not an X. And for those who go from X to Xs Max, that is legitimate as well if you are needing a bigger screen. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: MOTiiVHATE`

FunkyTang

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
I bought a pair of pants that i think costs too much and maybe I’ll return them. Maybe I won’t. Maybe I’ll see who else thinks pants are too expensive? iPhone is a product. Products can be good or bad. That’s why people can buy them if they want to.
I suggest you wear them for 14 days and if you don’t like them, return them.

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2009
Not talking trash I own the X. I prefer iOS
Been a user since the 5

Same ole phone.. Nothing has changed!!! But the $$$

Screen still looks outdated! The gold color option is a horrible choice. I can’t believe the coin they charging for the Max.

I’m just venting... and wanted to see how many returns are heading back lol

Venting at what? You didn’t buy one. The X is t much cheaper. The Max is a pretty big upgrade if you like a larger screen. Faster this faster that. It’s an S model. Not sure why you’d expect a completely new design since that’s never happened.

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2009
Yet they created a program so folks could upgrade their phone every year.

That’s a carrier issue. Apple started doing it to help circumvent the carriers lock downs and if you’re upgrading every year you didn’t pay full price for the phone anyway

stafil

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2017
I spent one year using an 8 Plus waiting to upgrade my X as it was giving me headaches. Upgraded to XS Max and still have the same problem. Not returning it though, will wait to upgrade next year. Fingers crossed no more 240Hz PWM next year.

tt061282

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada
I mean TBH I feel like Apple knew that the iPhone wouldn’t entice many X buyers. Which is why the update to the Apple Watch was monumental.

Idk if I would say Apple “robbed” us, but I’m hopeful they realize people would notice the X was a much bigger upgrade than the XS and XS Max. The only reason a X owner should upgrade this year would be for the Max.

That being said I did buy a Max on launch day, but have since decided to return it and keep my X and 8 for the year.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
What are your thoughts on your "new" device?
Just saw it in store and boy am I glad I didn't pre-order!!

Apple is robbing us good!!

I know some of you are pissed lol
Looking at your post history it seems you may have T-Mobile. If that is the case you might want to reconsider as the iPhone XS / XS Max adds band 71 and also 4x4 MIMO so you may notice some network connectivity improvements. You can check with T-Mobile to see if/when band 71 is available in your area.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
What are your thoughts on your "new" device?
Just saw it in store and boy am I glad I didn't pre-order!!

Apple is robbing us good!!

Wait I’m confused. You purchased an X a year ago but didn’t get robbed. People who purchased the XS and got a better phone for the same price did get robbed?

Makes great sense OP.

Reactions: stafil

neteng101

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009

Sorry OP - the only ones I know who are pissed are those who bought an X a year ago.

S phones have always hit the sweet spot, in hindsight, I made the wrong move when I bought the 6, and wasn't about to make the same mistake with the X. If I could redo my purchases, I'd totally use this sequence...

2G
3GS
4S
5S (only reason to upgrade here is battery life in 4S is really bad)
6S (got the 6 instead, ended up upgrading to 7 cause I hated the 6 after 2 years)
XS

Yup - the only original new version I would have bought is the 2G. Buying the 6S I'm sure would easily have lasted me till the XS.

The 2G, 3GS, 4S, and now XS, are the phones I'm happiest to have purchased/owned... I was pissed at myself for getting the 6. Sorry you got the X a year ago - the new FaceID, camera improvements, and battery life are hallmarks of what an S version brings.

indychris

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Fort Wayne, IN
I am returning my Max, but not because I don’t like it or because it is too expensive (though it IS a huge jump in $$$!). My sole reason is the simple fact that cellular reception tanked on this phone as compared to my 8+, as objectively measured while sitting side-by side on the front seat of my car numerous times when I lost service with the Max.

Reactions: jtrue28

mkz168

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2014
I mean TBH I feel like Apple knew that the iPhone wouldn’t entice many X buyers. Which is why the update to the Apple Watch was monumental.

Idk if I would say Apple “robbed” us, but I’m hopeful they realize people would notice the X was a much bigger upgrade than the XS and XS Max. The only reason a X owner should upgrade this year would be for the Max.

That being said I did buy a Max on launch day, but have since decided to return it and keep my X and 8 for the year.

If you don’t know what a S year mean then I fell bad for you.

DaveyVigs

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2016
Yes but the price is what’s pissing me off lol..

There is nothing in these phones that justify spending that amount of $$ on it.

I’m confused. You have the X which was the same price as the XS 10 months ago yet the XS has more and almost makes the regular X more of a beta device as it was a new design and first with the notch.

Not everyone upgrades to the first generation of a new model, sometimes they get the S upgrades. These phones are mostly targeted at for those that have an iPhone 8 and below as well as to entice to those with Androids to switch.

Me I have an SE through I’ve had every iPhone from the original to the 7Plus (minus the 5C). I skipped the 8 and X but may look at the XS as my next purchase and $1,000 for a phone I’ll keep for 2-3 years. I would likely pass down to my kids as a phone or iPad replacement. So to me the price is a perfectly good investment. Though I will at leaasy wait to see the XR in person since OLED Androids gave me headaches, I may stick with LCDs.

Princejb134

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
Been a user since the 5

Screen still looks outdated! The gold color option is a horrible choice. I can’t believe the coin they charging for the Max.

you say the screen looks outdated but android in general looks outdated and not very polished. Thats my main reason for not going back to android. I prefer stable, polished and smooth os over one that looks ugly and stutters from time to time

Reactions: mkz168

mkz168

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2014
you say the screen looks outdated but android in general looks outdated and not very polished. Thats my main reason for not going back to android. I prefer stable, polished and smooth os over one that looks ugly and stutters from time to time

Spot on!

Diorama

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2017
Been a user since the 5

It’s arguably the best smartphone screen.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I never understood these posts. Is it just to trash Apple? For people who upgraded, they understand what they are getting, the costs, etc. If they end up not feeling like it's worth it in the end, great, they return it. No big deal. I'll be keeping mine as I like the bigger screen, speed improvements to Face ID, and the new camera. If you don't, don't buy it. Apple isn't doing anything wrong by offering a better product.

Reactions: Orangeman13

Hoyboy

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
Sorry OP - the only ones I know who are pissed are those who bought an X a year ago.

S phones have always hit the sweet spot, in hindsight, I made the wrong move when I bought the 6, and wasn't about to make the same mistake with the X. If I could redo my purchases, I'd totally use this sequence...

2G
3GS
4S
5S (only reason to upgrade here is battery life in 4S is really bad)
6S (got the 6 instead, ended up upgrading to 7 cause I hated the 6 after 2 years)
XS

Yup - the only original new version I would have bought is the 2G. Buying the 6S I'm sure would easily have lasted me till the XS.

The 2G, 3GS, 4S, and now XS, are the phones I'm happiest to have purchased/owned... I was pissed at myself for getting the 6. Sorry you got the X a year ago - the new FaceID, camera improvements, and battery life are hallmarks of what an S version brings.

FaceID is the same as the X (only the new processor is making it slightly faster) and the battery life has barely improved (in fact the battery is a smaller capacity this year - talking about the XS not the max)

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Negative!!! The X factor was totally a different design and came with Oled. I needed to have Oled in my life. That’s why I paid my $$$..

I ain’t that dumb to buy the same phone twice lol..

I paid $700 for it since I sold my 7
And how much did you pay for the 7 (lol)?

Lol.

Lol.

Reactions: Breezygirl

brofkand

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2006
Apple isn't robbing anyone. It's not like they're selling electricity or shelter at inflated prices, these are smartphones. Smartphones, particularly high end models, are optional in life.

People who want an XS or XS Max or XR will buy one or have already done so, those who don't won't. The people who don't want one aren't being forced to buy one. There is no robbing going on.

There have been minor upgrade years in the past - the 4 to 4S was rather minor, same with 6 to 6S. Few new features, most of the improvements were under the hood. Same with the X to XS. I didn't upgrade my 4 to a 4S, or my 6 to a 6S, and if I owned an X I likewise wouldn't upgrade to an XS.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
I returned mine. Back to the normal X

Not a huge camera person so for me, can't even tell the user experience difference!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.