All you Glossy Black Buyers...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by caligurl, Sep 7, 2016.

1. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

2. kungxpao macrumors regular

kungxpao

I'm gonna get a clear case or a BSE skin for it.

3. noobinator macrumors 601

Clear, very thin plastic or official Apple case that I'll remove occasionally to admire.

4. co.ag.2005 macrumors 68000

co.ag.2005

5. lukefinch1 macrumors newbie

I'll be putting mine in a thin crystal clear case

6. numb3rmonkey macrumors member

numb3rmonkey

Apple Leather case. Naked on special occasions.

7. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

From Apple:

Jet black is available in 128GB and 256GB models. The high-gloss finish of the jet black iPhone 7 is achieved through a precision nine-step anodization and polishing process. Its surface is equally as hard as other anodized Apple products; however, its high shine may show fine micro-abrasions with use. If you are concerned about this, we suggest you use one of the many cases available to protect your iPhone.​

8. Stlcheer macrumors 6502

9. Neebee macrumors 6502a

There's nothing worse than having a gorgeous glossy finish and scuffing it when you insert or take it out of your case. That's why I won't be getting the jet black.

10. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

Its a bit of catch 22. I want to get the Jet Black because it looks so nice, so I don't want to hide it away in a case. But if i don't put it in a case its going to end up with scratches. Generally i dislike cases, I hate paying all this money for what is meant to be a slim lightweight phone and then bulking it out with a case (even the thinnest cases make a big difference in the weight and feel of the phone).
    I've been using my 6S naked for the past couple of months and can't believe how much nicer it feels to use, I've been fortunate enough this time not to drop or scratch it at all. I havent had such luck with previous phones I've used without a case!

11. Neebee macrumors 6502a

Exactly, but I know that the more I try to baby something the more likely it will get damaged or scuffed. I take out all my iphones out of the case at home and one time. I noticed a scratch near the camera lens from removing and putting it back in the case. I know there is no way prevent any "micro abrasions" and that will definitely lessen the resale value next year.

12. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

Did I hear right, its only on the 128/256 models?

13. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

Very true, I've found with all previous phones, unless I've had an accident and dropped it, all the small scratched on the body have all come from it being in a case where bits of dirt get in underneath etc.
    I've found that as long as I avoid dropping then my naked phones have ended up in a better condition by the end of the year.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 7, 2016 ---
    That's right. I'm guessing its their way of making it feel slightly more premium.

14. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Correct.

15. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

I am coining the Phrase officially "Floss the Gloss" for those who wish to flaunt the new Jet Black iPhone 7

People WiLL definitely do this for the same Reason people keep Brand new pair of White Sneaker Pristine and in the Box and will only wear them if they are Pristine White.

16. Neebee macrumors 6502a

There is a 50 GB version, made in China. lol. Seriously, you are correct. No 64 GB version

17. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

I'm not actually buying an iPhone 7, but I wouldn't use a case on the jet black model regardless.

18. Neebee macrumors 6502a

Wow. A rebel. :eek:

19. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Why buy a color based on appearance only to cover it up? I don't use cases on any of my devices.

20. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

I don't use cases on my phones and never had an issue. I have never had any major scratches either. What I do like about my current color combo (silver/white), you can be free with it and not worry about scratches. They don't show.

I'm leaning towards the Jet Black but I just don't know with Apple's disclaimer. I am awaiting more hands on videos from bloggers and the like first. I also want to see how black the matte black is before I pick. Front runner is Jet black, then matte black then silver.

21. Neebee macrumors 6502a

Everything has a color. And you're right. Color is irrelevant if you're going to cover it up...but very relevant if you want to show it off every now and then or even admire it. It's even more important if you wish to sell it.

Any way, I am seeing less and less people using their iPhone naked. The ones I do see often have a cracked face.

22. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

[​IMG]

23. infinitejest macrumors 6502

infinitejest

No case. Would completely ruin the design.

24. eoblaed macrumors 68000

eoblaed

That's not the only option, you know.

You could do what I've done since the original iPhone and not use a case at all.

That said, I'm going with the matte black. Much more my style.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 7, 2016 ---
    I've never put a case on my iPhones and I've purchased a new one every year since the original.

I've also never cracked the face. Not dropping it has a lot to do with that. Also, treating it like the fine precision piece of engineering that it us instead of like a tv remote helps a lot, too. The one time I damaged an iPhone, a case wouldn't have helped unless it was a seriously waterproof otter box (went through the laundry ... derp).