All you XP Users, Windows XP Service Pack 3 is now Publicly Available!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by smee, Feb 20, 2008.

1. smee macrumors member

smee

You can download it HERE at Microsoft's site.

But before you do, look HERE.
    Read the Apple Computers part (down in the middle of the page).
    SP3 is compatible with Apple computers, but you have to follow those steps to make it work, otherwise you'll get an Error.

Just thought I'd give you all a heads up! :D

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Oh joy - I wonder what this one will break.......... :(

4. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

This pre-release software is provided for testing purposes only. Microsoft does not recommend installing this software on primary or mission critical systems. Microsoft recommends that you have a backup of your data prior to installing any pre-release software.

Service Pack 3 hasn't gone final yet, this is just Release Candidate 2.

5. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Think i'll wait to the final release,have enough probs in windows world as it is without something else
    going tits up

6. smee thread starter macrumors member

smee

Uops.... didn't realize it was a release candidate....
    Well, I'll be testing it sometime... :rolleyes:

7. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

8. digiegg macrumors regular

what are some major changes?
    Does it take in more RAMs??

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Microsoft itself stated on its own website that Macs can run Windows. :eek: They just killed their marketshare.

11. digiegg macrumors regular

how is that killing their market share?
    Isn't it a smart move? Alot of people out there still prefer windows because they grew up with it. Remember, they sell OS, not computer parts.
    If all those mac and pc users out there are willing to use windows, more money for them.

As for the update.... beh.

12. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

How many computers does Microsoft make?

Yeah, that's right. Zero. They're expanding their marketshare by selling Windows to Mac users.

13. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Depends on how you calculate marketshare ;) Just thinking about this is truly interesting. Marketshare should really be determined by total number of licensed installs, not users, otherwise you can double count a user who dual boots and "grow" both marketshares.

Ex:
    Say there are 100 windows licenses and 50 Mac licenses. Windows would have a 66% marketshare (100/150 * 100%). Add 50 Mac users with Bootcamp - so now you 150 windows licenses and 100 mac licenses, leading to a only a 60% marketshare (150/250 * 100) for MS.

14. JWest macrumors 6502

I'm getting an error that just says "An internal error has occurred". It won't let me install.

15. SlaunchaMan macrumors newbie

SlaunchaMan

Did you follow the instructions for Mac users on Microsoft's site?

16. JWest macrumors 6502

Yes I did. It gives me 2 pop-ups that say that there are modified files on my computer, and that installer wants to know if it should overwrite them. I click "yes", it starts installing, then gives me the "internal error" message and the installer quits (it doesn't matter whether I click "yes" or "no", it gives me the error anyway).

17. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Be sure to update every other update first before attempting this one.

I installed XP with a slipstreamed SP3 RC1 disc once.

Ugh. .NET Framework would not install right. It'd install, say its installed, but not work. At all. :mad:

18. JWest macrumors 6502

I've got all prior updates installed. I see no reason why I'd be getting an "internal error".

19. wgilles macrumors 6502

wgilles

Well I am going to be installing a fresh copy of Vista or XP Pro 64 bit soon so I will go ahead and try it out. I'll let everyone know if I notice any differences.

20. JWest macrumors 6502

Vista isn't terribly efficient, and XP x64 is buggy. I'd suggest going with the good 'ol tried and true XP pro (32-bit).

21. JWest macrumors 6502

Ah, I found the problem. I did a virus scan, and AVG found about 8 viruses :eek:

So, I deleted them and after that the update went smoothly.

22. radesousa macrumors member

I'm a recent Mac user having moved over to the dark side when I bought my 20" iMac in May. I've successfully loaded Windows XP Home Service Pack 2 and it runs fine. I'm thinking of upgrading to Service Pack 3 and this thread seems to have died after February. Anyone out there having problems with Service Pack 3?

23. MM07 macrumors 6502a

No problems here. The install went well. Go for it.

24. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Not Bootcamp or Mac related - but SP3 murdered my friends PC last night. He didn't seem too happy about it. (had to format and reinstall)

I'll stay at SP2 unless some serious security issues pop up. (not talking the norm M$ security issues, I'm talking about I just woke up with a sore @$$ security issue). Otherwise, I'll spare myself the time and frustration.

25. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Does it take in more RAMs?

Does it allow you to use more RAM? Does it take up more memory (RAM)? What are you asking? And the changes are pretty minimal. A couple of extra security things, that's about it. Some people were expecting this big performance jump out of it, why I have no idea.