Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

French site Nowherelse.fr is continuing its string of parts leaks surrounding the next iPhone, sharing photos [Google translation] of what it has been told is the dock connector for the cable to be paired with the next-generation iPhone. The connector portion of the cable is shown next to the USB end of the cable, giving an idea of the size of the new connector.

nowhereelse_mini_dock_connector_1.jpg

The site notes that it can not confirm the validity of the images, but they do appear to show some features that could be consistent with what has been claimed about the new smaller dock connector. The connector shown in the images is considerably smaller that the existing dock connector, and the metal insertion piece appears to have 8 gold pins for making contact inside the corresponding port on the device. The insertion piece also appears as if it could be inserted into the iPhone in either orientation, as has been rumored.

nowhereelse_mini_dock_connector_2.jpg

Nowhereelse.fr had a poor track record of leaks leading up to the launch of the original iPad, but has been relatively quiet until earlier this month when it began sharing photos of next-generation iPhone parts. Those leaks are believed to be legitimate, as they are originating from Asian websites and are consistent with other leaks seen to date.

Update: Kyle Wiens of iFixit tells us the metal frame counts as a grounding pin, which means it's effectively a 9-pin connector. There has been some debate about it being an 8-pin vs 9-pin port, and this could reconcile those different claims.

Article Link: Alleged Photos of Apple's New Dock Connector

kk1ro

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
So, can we expect a USB 3.0 connection or a Thunderbolt one?
I'd love to connect my iPhone 5 via Thunderbolt and have almost instant backups and syncs.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
Mmmm, exposed metal strips, nice and damageable...

The only realistic scenarios where damaging the ends of that connector become possible are usually a result of the user's error anyway.

People with common sense will be fine as always.

rh1

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2010
Britain
Looks as good as legit to me. But then I guess many are still waiting to hear the compelling features behind the change of dock connector. :)
This will make sure keep Apple racking £15 on those Apple Dock Connector to USB Cables :)

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I'll wait and see on the robustness. As has been noted, it could have problems, but it might be OK.

Loving the idea of it inserting either way. That is one of the best things about Magsafe.

spb3

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2012
man, Apple parts are leaking left and right. what's up with that? I want to keep the element of the surprise! :rolleyes:

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
The only realistic scenarios where damaging the ends of that connector become possible are usually a result of the user's error anyway.

People with common sense will be fine as always.

Yup, I do hope they give us a longer charging lead, the one they supply is never quite long enough...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.