Allergic to Jony...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by prism, Oct 31, 2016.

1. prism, Oct 31, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2016

prism macrumors 6502a

I've developed a sort of allergy to Mr. Ive. His voice makes me cringe. Maybe it is because im tired with his broken record obsession with thinness, minimalism, perfect blablabla.
    They should drop the "pro" suffix from the MBPro given you are capped at 16gb of ram, let alone the ridiculously minimalist anemic port options.
    Although windows makes my stomach churn, im willing to make the jump to the XPS 15 because in this iteration at least IMHO im getting far more bang for the buck (certainly wasnt the case before). It's the first time im switching to WinDell in more than a decade. A sad day to say the least!
    I really wish I could stick withOSX but there is a point where it no longer makes sense from a price pov.
    Oh and the touchbar looks so incredibly gimmicky and even if I havent tested it, I'm not all that curious to do so.

2. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

Don't like it, don't buy it.
    Don't like a person, don't bother with him or her.
    Need a device, it's features, and it works for you, buy it if you can afford it.
    Otherwise, compromise, shrug, or wait for something else.

not sure what to say, I don't buy or not buy an Apple product because someone from Apple appears in a video or not.
    I personally can't stand the fake acting and cringe-worthy pauses between well placed words in a video that basically says: We put some serious thought into approaching this from a new perspective, preparing for a future where we dance in glitter". So I stopped watching those.

3. prism thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know all that, just sharing my disappointment.

4. VesselA macrumors regular

minimalism is good when it comes to aesthetics and design look, but not when it comes to ports

5. imorton, Oct 31, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2016

imorton macrumors 6502

I agree, all the baloney about thinnest & weight .... I can easily haul a 5 lbs laptop with lots of battery and ports.

At least one that has user-serviceable/replaceable parts

6. Macalway macrumors 68020

Between the horrible Mr Ive, and stomach churning Windows, is there no safe refuge for a nerd these days?

7. kevinkyoo macrumors 6502a

kevinkyoo

I will say, watching Ive for the first time was pretty cool. Now it's nauseating and cliche to a fault

8. Macalway macrumors 68020

Best to avoid the entire thing.

9. Rkuda macrumors regular

Rkuda

In other words you're completely unfamiliar with Apple's ethos and MO for pretty much ever, and especially the last 10-15 years. Steve Jobs was also obsessed about thinness, minimalism and striving for perfection.

You can accomplish many Pro tasks easily with 8GB. 16GB is more than enough for the vast majority of users.

And as far as ports go the new MBP is far superior. A single TB3 port can become virtually any interface you need it to, or even every single one you needed it to with a HUB.

Good luck, may god have mercy on your soul.

10. prism thread starter macrumors 6502a

Unfamiliar? yea whatever. The koolaid seems to be kicking in for you.
    The white ibook, a product of the Jobs era with a dGPU was incredible value for what you paid. So was the iMac when it first came out.
    Today all that has changed. The most affordable Apple laptop is almost a legacy product, using technology that is ripe for the dustbin. Enough said.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 1, 2016 ---
    16gb is more than enough for the vast majority of users but I was referring to pro users which is a subset of users. Do you know anything about the need of digital film and photo creators ? How about those that run virtual machines?

Also you mention TB3 like it was an apple only technology. Pffff.

11. crassapple Suspended

What Mac are you currently using? Did it stop working with the latest MBP release? If not I'd wait for the next gen before jumping ship.

12. prism thread starter macrumors 6502a

I hedged my bets by selling my forcetouch 13" (early 2015) before the new MBPros were announced and it backfired!

13. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

It's not really just him. Every keynote seems robotic and scripted, along with the token Ive video.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 1, 2016 ---
    Lmao same dude. I sold my 15" with the 750m. Got a phenomenal price for it, but now I really don't know what to do! Luckily, I was able to find a 4K iMac for a steal at $700. Think I'm going to try upgrading it to an SSD and experiment with an eGPU, while I wait. It's a nice computer, and I won't have to be mobile until next summer.