Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mel8899

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2017
Has anyone all of a sudden get a rash from back of watch after wearing it for awhile? I just started getting one today.

Last edited by a moderator:

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
I have - but not from an Apple Watch, just cheap nickel-plated ones when I was a kid. Apple Watch should be ceramic and/or stainless/aluminium only on the back. But it looks like you have a very real problem there!

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Had this happen to my on the underside of my wrist. It lasted for weeks when wearing the Apple sport band. I switched to another Apple sport band and no change. I switched to a cheap metal Milanese copy and irritation disappears.

I see other people have encountered this:

Lyn2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
I had this happen to me recently and realised that I’d (unusually) taken off the watch before putting moisturiser on my arms. I could feel the watch prickling and burning my skin after only a few minutes. After the skin healed I resumed wearing the watch but making sure no cream had been put on that area. I have had no further trouble since then, a few weeks later.

digitalexplr

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2016
Central Missouri
Had this happen to my on the underside of my wrist. It lasted for weeks when wearing the Apple sport band. I switched to another Apple sport band and no change. I switched to a cheap metal Milanese copy and irritation disappears.

I see other people have encountered this:

I had the same experience with my AW4 sports band. Knowing I have contact dermatitis I switched to a metal band. The problem disappeared.

I was recently retested for contact dermatitis and found several more items I am allergic to. One of which is the following. You may be suffering from the same issue.

Thiuram mix [A] contains the following four substances: Tetramethylthiuram monosulfide, Disulfiram, Tetramethylthiuram disulfide, and Dipentamethylenethiuram disulfide. These substances are used as fungicides and pesticides, and in the manufacture of many rubber products. You are most likely to contact this substance when using, wearing, or handling natural or synthetic rubber products at work or at home.

Reactions: MisterSavage

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I had the same experience with my AW4 sports band. Knowing I have contact dermatitis I switched to a metal band. The problem disappeared.

I was recently retested for contact dermatitis and found several more items I am allergic to. One of which is the following. You may be suffering from the same issue.

Thiuram mix [A] contains the following four substances: Tetramethylthiuram monosulfide, Disulfiram, Tetramethylthiuram disulfide, and Dipentamethylenethiuram disulfide. These substances are used as fungicides and pesticides, and in the manufacture of many rubber products. You are most likely to contact this substance when using, wearing, or handling natural or synthetic rubber products at work or at home.

Wow, that's really interesting. I have had skin issues in the past so this is eye opening. Thanks for sharing it!

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
Got my AW 5 44 February 6, wearing it on my left hand only during the day. Couple days later noticed a small red spot where the watch contacts my skin. Rash disappeared by morning but it continued to reappear in late afternoon. Switched to the sport loop with the same result. Bands are not too tight. Irritation could be moisture between the watch and my skin; unsure. My present remedy is to alternate wrists. Changing orientation is simple so I'll see how it goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MisterSavage

Mel8899

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2017
I stopped wearing watch for a few
days and used a cream my Doc recommended. Rash hasn’t reappeared. ?

romanof

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2020
Texas
I stopped wearing watch for a few
days and used a cream my Doc recommended. Rash hasn’t reappeared. ?
Same here. Never had a problem with rashes from anything, but the Solo Loop really began to itch and irritate. My solution was to apply a dollop of moisture cream, rubbing it in well (on my skin, not the band) just before I put the watch on in the morning.

Now... I am a guy, and I hate lotions and 'greasy' skin, but it works and doesn't appear to interfere with the sensors, not that I am concerned about them. The bottle is labeled Cetaphil Pro Restoraderm, but probably any brand would work.

rsfrid

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2020
Michigan
I have very sensitive skin and have zero issues. I regularly clean the back of my watch with alcohol wipes and wash down the entire watch and many of my bands. At the first sign or redness, I switch the watch to the other hand. But then this is the same regimen I employed with my Fitbits and Traser H3 watches.

Reactions: schlupps

chakrasan

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2021
Same thing here. Bought my first AW 5 in NOV 2020. A couple months later I developed a blistering rash under the watch...NOT the band. In researching, Apple says: "clean the watch blah blab blah <lip service>". I've worn at least 30 different kinds of watches for over the last 60 years, never had this happen. I'm sure some of them had nickel in them too. The most expensive watch I've ever purchased, and I can't wear it. I'm pissed, as I love the functionality of the watch. Something bad with these watches...Apple surely knows...they just don't want to admit it (cost them too much), or spend the money re-tooling and turning out a product that can't do this to people. I'd love to see a class action suit.

BigPotatoLobbyist

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2020
So there are a few common quandaries that can arise with the damn finicky bands, in my experience:

1: Sweat siphons nickel ions from the ostensibly hypoallergnic circular plate on the Sport Band, provoking any nickel allergies or invoking a nickel allergy for the underexposed e.g. males - subsequent exposures will then produce quicker irritation as the allergy has “developed” so to speak.
Here you’re mostly f*cked absent a cover for the plate, so you’ll need to find a band absent metallic contact to the wrist in this case, IMO.

2: Moisture-associated skin damage with Sport Band or Solo Loop: excessive moisture brought about by constant, particularly proximal (read: tight and optimal for moisture development or trapping liquid a la soap and such) blockade of the skin will hinder basic cellular renewal & result in skin irritation, atrophy.
Here, it is prudent to keep in mind the skin’s anabolic cycles - outward skin is usually succeeded by novel tissue every month or so. Cease wearing the Apple Watch in any remotely tight position, ensure quality & well above adequate nutrition, rest.

After several weeks, try on a band configuration only slightly looser or begin increasing breaks/cleaning intervals. Rinse and repeat with more caution if irritation develops again.

**** other options:
Sport Loops or breathable mesh-esque bands (braided too) don’t tend to have these issues at remotely the same frequency. Even a little air & a little less metal goes a long way.

Last edited:
Reactions: schlupps

dmccloud

macrumors 68040
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
I've had issues in the past with watches causing this type of issue, even a Samsung Galaxy Watch when I was still using Android. However, I have not had any issues at all with the Apple Watch. I do charge it daily, and I also clean the underside of the watch itself every other day, so that may play a role in why I've had no issues with the Apple Watch.

Reactions: rsfrid
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.