Allocate Storage and clean it...

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by dirtnnasty, Dec 29, 2013.

1. dirtnnasty macrumors member

I am new with MacOS and I have a problem where I need your help:

My SSD is becoming full and I don't know what it is...
    At my screenshot you can see, at Macintosh HD is a "Backup" but there should be no Backup... 50Gigs?!??!?! How can I find this... I used SupaView but it fails with this 50gigs (supaView is working and working and don't stop anymore).

Then I made every file visible in terminal but I didn't find anything too...

I Cannot make a fresh install because I don't have the installation file (actually I am living in an area with weak internet connection and loading in recovery lasts 15hours)...

Please help me...

edit:

on the left window you can see, there is 71gigs free (=frei) and 44gigs used (=belegt)... on the right window you can see "Backup"...

Attached Files:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Download and use OmniDiskSweeper. It will provide a sorted list of what's consuming your space.

3. dirtnnasty thread starter macrumors member

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That doesn't make sense. OmniDisk is reporting only 31GB of storage but your OP shows a 251GB SSD (am I correct on that)

5. dirtnnasty thread starter macrumors member

I don't know whats going on...

Attached Files:

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I see what's going on, though I'm not sure how you got in that situation.

Space used
    Boot camp 20 GB
    Macintosh HD 115 GB
    Macintosh HD 114 GB

Total space 249 GB.

So you have to OSX volumes named Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD 2. There's also a small bootcamp volume to run windows or another non OSX operating system, i.e., Linux.

There's a TimeMachine attached to your computer as well,I'm assuming that's an external drive correct?

Any idea how you created two OSX volumes?

7. dirtnnasty thread starter macrumors member

I created a Second Partition for my data...

Bootcamp is fine too...

The Problem is, my main Drive is Macintosh HD with System and User etc.
    ... and Backup, but there should be no Backup... The normal amount of Data should be around 40gigs but there is an unknown Backup with 50gigs and I cannot allocate this... Even not delete this...

So HD2, Bootcamp and my external Drive called Time Machine are done by me...
    omnidisk finds on HD (1) just 30 gigs of data as you can see, so what's going on?

8. dirtnnasty thread starter macrumors member

I don't know what happened, maybe someone have an explanation for that but now everything is normal again...

I checked the Volumes twice in recovery...

Attached Files:

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Part of the issue is probably Time Machine local snapshots. That is TM stores som of the backups on your SSD, they get removed when storage is running short but to disable that "feature"

Type in a terminal
    sudo tmutil disablelocal

Turning off Time Machine in the System Prefs should remove them (though I don't know if disabling the usage of them via the terminal does that as well.

Please note if you turn off Time Machine and turn it back on, the local snapshots automatically became active again. You'll need to run the sudo tmutil disablelocal command.

10. dirtnnasty thread starter macrumors member

Ok, I keep an eye on it... Would be nice if the problem is solved now... or until I get a bootable Stick.

EDIT: Thank you!!!