Allocating RAM for Fusion

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by GregPQ, Feb 27, 2010.

1. GregPQ macrumors regular

GregPQ

I'm interested in getting a 13" MBP if they ever refresh:confused: I would get it with 4GB of RAM.

Let's say I install Fusion and WinXP and allocate 1GB of RAM for Fusion. Does this mean that the Mac--when *not* running XP--would only access the remaining 3GB of RAM?

I'm hoping to prepare my income tax return on the MBP with TurboTax, but I'm afraid that Apple is in no particular hurry to refresh a mere notebook when they can hype the daylights out the iPad:D

Thanks,
    Greg

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No, when Fusion is not running, all 4GBs belong to OS X.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

r.j.s., if Fusion is running, and the Virtual Machine is asleep, does it still allocate the full RAM to the VM? What if it is just idle with no real activity? I have never really paid attention to notice. Have you?

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If Fusion is running, but the VM is sleeping, then just the RAM needed to run Fusion itself is used - 35MB on my machine. If the VM is idle, then it is using whatever you allocated to it - it is a separate machine after all and needs it's RAM.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Thanks! That makes sense and that is what I thought, but I had never pulled the memory usage in the Activity Monitor.

'Preciate it

6. chrisandersen macrumors 6502

chrisandersen

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes.