AllofMP3.com shut down

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AdeFowler, Jul 3, 2007.

1. iGav macrumors G3

Good. Buying from the Russian Mafia was much akin to stealing music anyway.

2. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

I'll admit, I have bought music from allofmp3, but only because it was absolutely impossible to find anywhere else.

And yes, I did feel kinda uncomfortable submitting my credit card info to Russia.. after all.. in Soviet Russia, credit card info submits you...

I see they've put up a new site.

The one thing I liked about allofmp3 is that you could CHOOSE your format and bit rate! iTunes can learn a lot from those crazy Russians.

3. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Boohoo!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:
    Hopefully there will be a replacement coming soon.

4. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Never bought from them, but it would have been nice to have the option
    Freakin RIAA! :mad: :mad: :mad:

5. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I used them a few times. They were most helpful when you had a CD that wouldn't rip properly. The Jupiter disc of Stadium Arcadium and the Once Upon a Time in Mexico CD kept ripping with artifacts, so I essentially paid those folks to rip them for me. Oh well. I the future, situations like that will have to be resolved some other way.

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

You still have the option of shoplifting from your local department store....

:rolleyes:

No, I'm sorry, that's too harsh. You still have the option of paying someone 30 cents per CD to shoplift them for you from Walmart. Freakin Walmart! :mad: :mad: :mad:

7. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I would use them but it's all illegal anyways, might as well steal it myself and save me the 30 cents.

jon

8. Queso macrumors G4

Someone suggested Allofmp3 to me in their infancy and my reaction was "No way is that legal, and you want to give them your card details? Are you mad??". The more one digs into the company, the more that initial reaction seems justified.

9. bartelby macrumors Core

I did used the site for a few odd tracks here and there, but I used paypal to get a prepaid "card" so the site didn't have my CC info.

10. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

That was always my opinion as well. I just don't see taking the risk to submit your CC details so you can pay a couple of pennies presumably to ease your conscience. Anyone with a modicum of intelligence knows there's something shady going on.

11. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

12. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Meh. My parents wouldn't let me do it even if I had the money.

13. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Yep, a little harsh :(
    I've never used allofmp3.com, so i haven't "stolen" music from them

Also, stealing a physical object (like a CD) is quite different from stealing a series of zeroes and ones, as stored on your hard drive (like an mp3)

14. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Why? They're both data, covered under intellectual copyright laws.

Many people just don't seem to get it: they're not yours to give away... when you buy a DVD or CD, you don't own the film or music. You are granted rights to do certain things with it.

15. brasscat macrumors 6502

brasscat

In case you missed it, the same company opened a new site mp3Sparks.com that's a copy cat of allofmp3.com. So the only real victory here is the company was forced to stop using the old domain name to sell it's service. :eek:

16. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

No its not.

Imagine a valuable painting. The valuable part is the paint not the canvas. When it comes to music CDs the 'painting' is the 'zeros and ones' and the canvas is the physical CD. Stealing the 'zeros and ones' is EXACTLY the same as lifting a CD.

The CD is just a transport medium like the canvas.

17. TonySwartz macrumors member

They didn't shut down - they just replaced the site with mp3sparks.com. You can even use the AllofMP3.com login with the new site.

:rolleyes:

18. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

19. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

So, OK then, I will hire you at $25 an hour to do an original website design, research and write all of the content, lay it out and write some custom code to make it all work. You work for two months on it, finish the job, it's great, it is everything that I hoped for.

You present me with a bill for $8,000 for 2 months work, and I tell you -- nope, I have already paid a Russian firm $750 for your work, and I have a receipt. You can go collect your share of $300 from them under their legal-in-Russia licensing agreement.

In the mean time, I have copied all the zeros and ones of the website code (which are after all, only zeros and ones stored on a server, and not physical objects) and I have given away or sold that code to 100 of your potential customers.

When you object, I reply
    "It's only zeros and ones, it's not the same as stealing. Besides, all web design stars are filthy rich, you have enough money already, you wont miss my little bit. I'm a starving buisinessman and I can't afford to pay the asking rate. You'd waste 90% of the money in any case instead of supporting the people that really deserve it. Your whole industry is rotten - frackin' web designers. If you got a clue and changed your business model to charging $0.50 per hour instead of the ripoff rate of $25, then your business would be more popular and you would sell more websites. Besides, those 100 people who are using your web code for free, they might hire you later if they like it. I'm just protesting your bad business practices, and helping you realize that the world has changed, and the economy is digital now, baby!"

20. ecche macrumors regular

Brilliant! Thank you!

21. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Just because the RIAA say it's illegal doesn't make it so, they don't rule the whole worlds music business :rolleyes:

They were operating under their rules of their country, albeit a dodgy rule. Their CC transactions were operated in Holland so you are protected by insurance on your CC or at least I was, not that i've ever had any problems.

I have bought probably around $500 of music from all of mp3 i'd never consider buying that much from iTunes though i do use iTunes and have a few hundred songs from there.

22. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I went to the site, but never bought anything from them, They were a magnet anyway. I say that they just ripped CDs and then sold off copies, thats just shady, At least though the artist got something (so unlikely) I remember a friend of mine coming back from renewing his student visa and he brought with him a bunch of MP3 CDs that he bought for $2 and at least $3000 in software that he bought for $5, or what ever the Russia rate would be.

23. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Correct.

Your country's copyright law, however, and international conventions on copyright law, to which your country is a signatory, make it illegal.

24. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I concede to your CanadaRAM, and the others who seem to oppose my views.
    But i guess i'm stupid to mess with the ram, because i'm gonna get the horns :D
    ^My cheap joke for the day