Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bentoon

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2003
NYC
in OS9 you could change the memory that any individual program was limited to using or having at it's disposal.
I haven't seen this in X at all and I'm wondering where it's gone or if it's obsolete
Thanks,

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Re: alloting Memory

Originally posted by bentoon
in OS9 you could change the memory that any individual program was limited to using or having at it's disposal.
I haven't seen this in X at all and I'm wondering where it's gone or if it's obsolete
Thanks,

well not the same way it is done in OS 9

certain apps, like photoshop and FCP let you do it from within the software.

other just take it as they need it

i believe there is a way to do it from the terminal, as the case is in other *nix flavors... but not to sure how to go about it

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Well, one of the key features of OSX was smart memory management.

The OS changes the program's memory allotment depending on the size of the app and its level of activity.

manitoubalck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
OS 9's manua allotment was a hassel to say the least. I have never incounted a memory alloting program in Windows and don't really see the need. A program just uses what it neeeds and if it needs a little more it can access it without restriction.

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Originally posted by manitoubalck
OS 9's manua allotment was a hassel to say the least. I have never incounted a memory alloting program in Windows and don't really see the need. A program just uses what it neeeds and if it needs a little more it can access it without restriction.

really?, i didn't mind, felt like i had more control that way, and i like how i could check how much ram what program was using...

i don't like the way process viewer... the OS 9 way seemed cleaner and more organized

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.