Allow cookies only for selected sites?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jardins de Vin, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Jardins de Vin macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

Anyone know if there's way to allow cookies only for selected sites in Safari? For example, I need cookies for MacRumors, but do not want to store cookies for any others sites. I don't want to go and delete them all the time. Also I don't want to store cookies for ads on MacRumors for example.

Thanks!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I use the app Cookie for this. It does not block the cookies, but it allows you to whitelist the ones you want to keep and all others are deleted when you quit the browser session. Works perfectly.

3. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

Hmm that sounds good, I heard of some app like this already.

Is there a downside to allowing cookies and deleting them vs. not allowing them at all?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have tinkered with some apps that block them all, but some sites need cookies to operate properly so you always seem to be messing around allowing cookies at specific sites all the time. I just found it easier to use the partial blocking in Safari then whitelist in the app what I want to always keep.

[​IMG]

5. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

Who are third parties by the way? Isn't any site you visit "third party" somehow?
    Or does that mean that if I'm on a site for example and there's ads from Google, that the Google Ads Cookies won't be stored on my Mac? Because that's still what's happening, even with various Ad block plugins.

What are those apps that can block them all? I will rarely need the computer for surfing and if I do it's just do check a few things, not to use interactive sites or anything of that kind. :) Also, I always know which sites I use therefore it wouldn't matter - I would rarely land on sites I don't know on this Mac.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes exactly, it should stop cookies from sites other than the one you are actually on. My experience is the same as yours that this does not always work.

I was messing around with Ghostery that blocks most of them and got tired of it. I visit a lot of sites and different ones all the time, so it might no be as much hassle for you.

7. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin