Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
I'm a bit puzzled by this. In the Allow Location Access for an app, there are two options:

1. NEVER
  2. ALWAYS

Why is there no option to allow location access only when the app is open and running?

Seems to me like this would help with battery and privacy. For example, why does an app like groupon or double take offers need to be using my location in the background?

And I know for a fact that my batter drains super quickly when I use MapMyRide to log a workout but I don't kill the app in the multitask window. Why doesn't apple allow me to stop the cellular service when I'm not using the app? I thought the whole point of ios is to not have to kill apps manually.

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
Actually, iOS 8 does add the ability for developers to request access to your location only while the app is open, but the developer must update the app and request the access in a different way. Apps that haven't been updated yet will still only present the Never/Always options.

Also, note that just because you select Always doesn't mean that the app is always accessing your location. You have simply given it permission to access your location always. Despite being given permission to access your location always many apps will still only access your location while they're open.

Something like a weather app might use your location in the background so that it can give you current weather alerts no matter where you go, but bank app that uses your location to find the nearest ATM will only use your location when it's open and you ask it to find an ATM.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
Thank you for your response. So, if I get the message in the attached photo, can I assume that this app is using the location services when I'm not using the app? If that is the case, how can we be sure which apps are running in the background and which aren't?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 53

DARKiLLUSiON

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Apple apps are the perfect example for this

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414195016.026716.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414195016.026716.jpg

App Store runs LS while you are using it whereas Apple Store runs LS in the background regardless if you are using it at the moment or no

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414195024.364438.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414195024.364438.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 57
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.