Allow me to show some of my recent photos

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by valdore, Oct 14, 2007.

1. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

Here are some of my recent photos. My emphasis is architecture, cityscapes, events and street scenes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

Those are some really great shots. Please keep them coming :)

3. valdore thread starter macrumors 65816

valdore

Thanks! And by the way, I love your username. Wish I'd thought of it. :eek:

4. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

5. shieldyoureyes macrumors 6502

shieldyoureyes

You've got some nice shots in there, but I think the heavy HDR treatment ruined some of them...would have been nicer without it.

6. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

7. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I agree. All in all though, most of them are quite good.

8. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

Yup... an enjoyable selection of pictures. Good eye... great colour. But I agree, too, that the HDR needs to be toned dowen a bit... so it adds a 'certain something' rather than scream 'HDR' (for example, I can barely look at the pink house with blue/black sky! it actually hurts my eyes...).

9. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

Those are really great but I'm not so sure about that third one.
    Watch some of the ones with dark clouds because they will move a persons eye away from the whole picture and more towards a black spot on the picture.

10. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    While the original photographs may have been good from the get-go, IMHO too much manipulation has spoiled their appeal. You seem to have a good eye for composition and subjects, why not try presenting your work as it was originally shot rather than getting too carried away with HDR, Orton and other techniques? A little of that kind of thing goes a VERY long way!

11. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

I agree with the other posters – could you post the original shots, unedited? Would be cool to see the comparison :)

12. RevToTheRedline macrumors 6502a

RevToTheRedline

Absolutely stunning, I love the soft feel of the images, and the HDR in a few of them.

Keep them coming.

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

They're enjoyable but the post processing got old midway. I'd like to see more without all the heavy post processing.
    Also, where were these taken?

14. valdore thread starter macrumors 65816

valdore

Kansas City Missouri.

15. epicwelshman macrumors 6502a

epicwelshman

I agree with most people here. The photos themselves, in terms of content, composition etc are for the most part very nice. I'm a huge fan and proponent of post-processing, but these have been taken a touch far. Maybe forget about the "techniques" and do things like simple levels, curves, colour editing etc. See where that gets you.

16. seany916 macrumors 6502

I really like your eye for composition. A lot.

Wish mine was that good.

17. Martin C macrumors 6502a

Martin C

You've got some nice shots in there and should consider joining the "Picture of the Day..." thread.

I'm not quite sure if I am a fan of the Orton technique on architectural shots, but you do have some nice HDR shots in there, my favorite being number four.

Like Clix Pix said, over-processing with Orton and HDR can ruin your original photos that might have not needed as much post processing as you gave them. I look forward to seeing some more of your work.

18. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

i agree they are nice. just work on your framing and composition. Some of your photos could be a bit brighter. And some of the people are distracting. And straighten the Plane photo. its crooked. sorry its my OCD kickin in.
    Yet very nice photos.

little less HDR. not everything has to have the fuzzzz:)

19. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

wow those are good. Some of them look almost dreamlike in quality, almost like they are more real than reality itself. I wish they were big enough for my desktop background :).

20. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Whoa, dude those are some fantastic ones. The originals were just as impressive, I suspect - but you have a knack for p/p which makes them pop out even more on most of the images... would love to see more, including originals.:)

21. valdore thread starter macrumors 65816

valdore

Thanks for the feedback everyone...

The people are a distraction? Like I said at the beginning, I concentrate on cityscapes and street scenes, and people are often a component.

[​IMG]

It doesn't look crooked to me.

Sometimes Orton works great on architecture in my opinion; not all the time of course, but sometimes. An example:

[​IMG]

--------------------------------

Anyway - I am an HDR addict, I admit. It is sooo much fun. I'll post some slightly older photos where the HDR tone mapping was less pronounced.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, I have some HDRs where, in my opinion, hardly anyone would guess right off hand that it's HDR (but I use it anyway because it often helps reveal minute architectural details not normally evinced in a standard photograph.) These are both HDR:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And for comparison, these are HDR tone mapped to the Nth degree, and I love them:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

You've nailed the point: you're an HDR addict. But, while it works for some shots, what I like to see is a 'good picture' rather than a 'good technique'. If it's not immediately obvious whether a pic is manipulated... then that's the kind of pic that will appeal to me.

I used HDR yesterday, when shooting the interior of a dark 17th century hall, full of wood pannelling. I wanted to get some detail into the shadows, and the light coming through the windows. The pix don't scream 'HDR'... the technique just made it possible to get the pix I wanted.

I've used HDR on landscapes... with mixed results. Sometimes it seems to work... sometimes it doesn't (and I'm still learning how to tell the difference). Deep blue skies don't seem to work (for me, anyway...): it seems to go lighter and darker around anything, like trees or buildings, that appear against the sky. And strange things happen around telephone wires (as in your pic of the railway bridge).

Extreme conditions - stormy skies, sunsets - seem to take well to HDR. Like chilli powder in cooking... it's best used with discretion... :)

Attached Files:

23. valdore thread starter macrumors 65816

valdore

Yeah, HDR is fantastic for interiors also.

The dark/light problem around objects can be rectified by lowering the luminosity in the HDR editor, I've discovered this week.

24. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Wow, some great shots of our great city. Is that the construction of the new concert hall in the B&W pics near the top?

25. valdore thread starter macrumors 65816

valdore