Allow my win7 bootcamp to modify Lion folders

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gonca, Jan 8, 2012.

1. gonca macrumors regular

Hi guys,

I would like to be able from bootcamp with win7 modify folders in Lion osx - for now i can just read the files but cant for example drop some files from win7 to Lion.

Couldnt find nothing related with this 'sharing permission' since iam speaking about the same laptop with both systems, not windows 7 vs lion computers.

Must exist some very easy option to tick right?

Thanks in advance,

2. WarpSpawn macrumors member

I think it is simply a limitation of Mac OS, that it cannot write to NTFS but can read from it (so I assume the same applies to network shares). The usual tactic is to have another partition formatted as something like FAT32, to behave as neutral teritory between the two OSs.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Try using MacDrive for windows. I think that should give you not only read access but write access

4. gonca thread starter macrumors regular

5. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

You've got it backwards. OP is running Win7 and trying to copy to a HFS+ volume. Also, the same does not apply to network volumes because the data is transfered to the OS, not the HDD directly, and it's the OS that does the writing. So a NTFS HDD can be written to by a Mac via networking because Windows is doing the actual writing of the file.

Honestly, I don't quite understand why Apple doesn't provide HFS+ read/write ability for Win7 in BootCamp... you would think it would be in their best interest to do so.

6. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

This does not apply to network shares.

7. WarpSpawn macrumors member